BOSTON, Mass. – With a double-double by Dasan Cinelli (Boston, Mass.) and a 22-point showing by Michael Boyd (Malden, Mass.), men's basketball got back in the win column as they defeated Pine Manor College by the final of 86-71 Tuesday evening at the Clark Athletic Center Gymnasium.
UMass Boston 86, Pine Manor College 71
UMass Boston (4-3)
Pine Manor College (3-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
With Tuesday's win, the Beacons snapped a three-game skid, in what was their first of three home games this week in the Clark Gymnasium.
Cinelli was red-hot all night as the sophomore forward grabbed 14 boards, while also dropping in 16 points on 6-of-16 shooting. Boyd had a strong game as the freshman guard never left the game floor. In his 40 minutes of playing time, the Boston native finished with a game-high 22 points on 6-of-11 shooting, with all six field goals coming from 3-point range. He also went 4-for-5 at the charity stripe.
Fellow freshman Charles Mitchell (Boston, Mass.) was also on the floor for all 40 minutes in the huge non-conference victory. The Boston native finished second on the team with 19 points on 7-of-18 shooting, 3-for-12 from distance. He also grabbed a career-high seven rebounds, and handed out game-high five assists alongside senior guard Iser Barnes (Boston, Mass.).
For the Gators, Rasheed Bell collected the team's only double-double as the forward finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
After trailing the Gators for the first 10 minutes of the opening half, the Beacons used an offensive surge to take control of the scoreboard. The Beacons saw a three-pointer by Boyd give them a five-point lead (29-24) with just over six minutes to play. The Gators would cut the deficit to two, but from that point on the Beacons would own the momentum as they continued to use their speed to overwhelm the Gators.
With a pair of 3-pointers over the final one minute 18 seconds, the Beacons headed into the locker room with a 51-39 lead.
The second half was a back-and-forth battle from the start as both teams quickly racked up the fouls. Despite spending a majority of the half at the charity stripe, the Beacons eliminated any chance of a Gators comeback as they continued to drain 3-pointer after 3-pointer to clinch the much-need victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- All-time UMass Boston is 2-3 against Pine Manor College; The win marked the second for the Beacons on their home floor
- UMass Boston shot a season-high 41.4% (12-29) from 3-point range, and shot 42.4% (28-66) from the field
- The Gators led the contest in rebounds 53-38, with 20 of the boards coming on the offensive glass
- The Beacons defense forced a season-high 26 turnovers, and combined for 13 steals and two blocks
- UMass Boston also handed out a season-best 21 assists
- Off the bench Charlie Mitchell (Boston, Mass.) finished with 11 points and was an impressive 6-for-8 at the line
- The Beacons 12 3-pointers marked the most by the team this season
The Beacons will host Tufts University on Thursday at 7 p.m.