Babson Edges Men's Hockey 4-3 in Overtime

Babson Edges Men's Hockey 4-3 in Overtime

BOSTON, Mass. – With only 1:07 left in the overtime period Babson College got off their only shot of the period, which proved to be all they needed as Shayne Anderson drove home the game-winning goal to give the Beavers (6-11-1, 6-4-1 ECAC East) a 4-3 ECAC East conference win over men's hockey (9-7-2, 5-6-0 ECAC East) Friday evening in the Clark Athletic Center.

Anderson's deciding goal was the first of the year for the sophomore defenseman who blasted the puck past UMass Boston goalie Alex Scola (Exeter, N.H).  Setting up the play was Andrew Bonazza and Mike Hoban.

Prior to the shot, the Beacons dominated the overtime period from the opening puck drop.  They closed out the extra frame with an 8-1 advantage in shots and ended the night with a +13 (43-30) in total shots. 

Setting up the overtime period were two wild offensive outbursts which started early in the second period.  Down 1-0 to UMass Boston, Babson tied the game at 1-1 on a power-play goal from Jay Haseley.  Just 10 seconds later senior Anthony Fitti (Watertown, Pa.), who assisted the Beacons first goal of the night scored by Cameron Harvey (Bow, N.H.), made it 2-1 in favor of the home team on an even strength goal.

Leading by one the two teams stepped back on the ice for what would be a physical and whistled filled third period.  After a somewhat quiet first couple of minute's things, the intensity level of Friday's contest went through the roof following a three goal barrage in less than two minute window.

Setting off the flurry was Babson's Mike Driscoll who tied the game at 9:39.  Babson then jumped out to their first lead of the night less than a minute later with a Matt Leer even strength score at 10:34.  Forty-five seconds after that it was UMass Boston who found the back of the net as Travis Daniel (North Brunswick, N.J.) drove home his sixth goal of the season on the power-play to tie the game at 3-3.  Assisting on the then game-tying goal was Rob Florentino (West Roxbury, Mass.) and Bryan Albert (Redlands, Calif.).

Now with less than nine minutes left in the contest both teams exchanged shots and hits in hopes of getting the edge to end the game in regulation.  Babson had a great opportunity fall right into their laps with less than three minutes left to play in the form of a 5-on-3.  The two man advantage lasted just a few seconds as the Beavers were tagged with a holding penalty to make it a 4-on-3 affair. 

Both teams would kill off the remaining penalties and despite two last second shots by UMass Boston, one of which was blasted from behind the Beacons blue line that nearly caught Babson goalie Andrew Peabody by surprise, the score remained tied at three apiece.

Peabody, who improved to 4-3-0 on the year, totaled 40 stops in the Clark Athletic Center.  Scola fresh off of back-to-back wins the last two Friday's fell to 4-3-2 on the season.  The New Hampshire native grabbed a combined 26 shots in the contest.

On the power-play, UMass Boston ended the night 2-for-6, while Babson was 1-for-7 overall. 

The two teams will return to action tomorrow when they meet for the final time this season at Babson College as part of their home-home weekend.  Start time for tomorrow's contest is scheduled for 4 p.m.