Men's Hockey Earns Crucial Conference Win over U. of New England

Men's Hockey Earns Crucial Conference Win over U. of New England

BOSTON, Mass. – With a game-winning goal from Tim Richter (Naugatuck, Conn.) at the 17:46 mark of the third period and strong showing by freshman netminder Alex Scola (Exeter, N.H.) men's hockey was able to pull-out a 4-3 ECAC East conference win over the University of New England Friday evening in the Clark Athletic Center Ice Arena.

UMass Boston improved to 11-8-3, 7-7-1 in the ECAC East with the win, while the University of New England fell to 3-16-2, 1-14-0 ECAC East.

The deciding goal from Richter, which was his second of the season, came after driving home a pass from Chris Wyman (Bartlett, Ill).  Also tallying an assist on the deciding play was Kyle Tejchma (Fruitport, Mich.).  Friday's win marked the fifth of the season for Scola, who combined for 27 saves.

Friday's contest got off to a great start for the Beacons as Anthony Fitti (Havertown, Pa.) and Steve Weston (Henniker, N.H.) gave UMass Boston an early 2-0 lead in the first three minutes of first period.  Mike DeGrazia (Novi, Mich.) quickly made it a three goal game after he notched his fifth score of the season at 1:47 of the second period.

Now with a comfortable 3-0 lead, UMass Boston thought the game was theirs for the taking; however the Nor'Easters had a much different idea as they scored back-to-back goals to make it a one goal game with less than 12 minutes to play in the second frame.  Fred Hein and Zeth Zielinski put their team back in the contest after scoring the two goals in a four minute window.

Still holding a one goal lead going into the final period the two teams returned to the ice for what turned out to be a very fast-paced and physical 20 minutes of play.  After nearly 18 scoreless minutes, the Beacons ended their scoring drought with the deciding goal by Richter.

Following the goal, New England went on the power-play following a tripping call against the Beacons.  With 1:50 left on the clock, New England pulled goalie Ian Edwards to go on a 6-on-4.  Just seconds after gaining the extra attacker the Nor'Easters made it a one goal game for the second time.

Edwards, who was solid all evening as he totaled 32 stops quickly exited the ice after the post goal face-off.  However, even with the extra attacker on their side, New England was unable to break through the Beacons defense in the final minute of play.

On the night New England was 2-for-3 on the power-play, while the Beacons finished 0-for-2.  UMass Boston combined for 36 shots and held New England to just 30 attempts.  In the first period the Beacons allowed just two shots from the Nor'Easters. 

Men's Hockey will host Southern Maine tomorrow afternoon at 4 p.m.  Prior to the contest the Beacons will honor their nine senior members.