#15 Men's Hockey Rallies To Down St. Michael's College 6-4

#15 Men's Hockey Rallies To Down St. Michael's College 6-4

BOSTON, Mass.—In one of the wildest games in recent memory at the Clark Athletic Center Ice Arena, #15 UMass Boston men's hockey scored five straight goals to pull off a come-from-behind 6-4 win over St. Michael's College Saturday afternoon.

The win lifted UMass Boston to 12-1-2 and 5-1-2 in ECAC East play as they earned their 10th consecutive victory. St. Michael's College fell to 1-11-1 and 0-8-1 in ECAC East action.

After scoring the first goal of the contest, UMass Boston found themselves trailing 4-1 at the first period intermission break. UMass Boston cut the deficit to 4-3 after two and scored three third periods to extend their program-record unbeaten streak to 13 in a row.

Senior captain Travis Daniel (North Brunswick, N.J.) recorded a pair of goals, while Jeremy Finger (Orlando, Fla.) registered the game-winning goal for the second-straight night and added an assist.

Mike Kuhn (Holbrook, Mass.) chipped in with a goal and an assist, while first-liners Peter MacIntyre (Norfolk, Mass.) and Nathan Milam (Westland, Mich.) picked up three and two assists respectively.

Sophomore goalie Billy Faust (Alta Loma, Calif.) was the story in net for UMass Boston for the second-straight night, as he stopped all 20 shots he faced in the second and third periods. Zach Andrews (Coral Springs, Fla.) was left out to dry for much of the first period, as he gave up four goals on 17 shots.

Kevin Altidor led the St. Michael's attack with a goal and two assists as the Purple Knights scored all four of their goals in a 7:49 span of the first period. Stephen Inman, Jeremy Wong and William Cote (one assist) all added a goal as well.

In net, Michael Comitini posted 20 saves on 26 shots to fall to 0-3-0 on the season.

Despite a slow start to the contest, UMass Boston opened up a 1-0 lead at the 8:32 mark on Mike Maciag's (Plymouth, Mich.) first collegiate goal. The freshman defenseman, who was forced into action after two defenders went down earlier this week, came in on an odd-man rush and rifled a short into the top left corner while receiving an elbow to the face. MacIntyre and Frankie DeAugustine (Pittsburgh, Pa.) picked up assists on the play.

That would be the lone positive for UMB in the period, as the St. Michael's proceeded to score four goals before the intermission to grab a 4-1 lead. Inman started the rally with a short-handed tally at 10:30, before Cote gave the Purple Knights the lead with a power-play goal at 13:05. 

Jeremy Wong added an even-strength goal 10 seconds later to stun the Beacons and Altidor made it 4-1 at 18:19 with the Purple Knights' second power-play goal of the period.

The Beacons proceeded to sleep-walk through the first 15 minutes of the second period before Daniel awoke the team's sleeping offense. 30 seconds after Kevin Lampron was sent off for hooking, Daniel redirected a MacIntyre shot through Comitini's legs to make it 4-2 in favor of St. Michael's.

Kuhn cut the deficit to 4-3 1:40 later when he outhustled a pair of Purple Knights defenders to score his first short-handed goal of the season. With the puck in the Purple Knights end and two defenders slowly converging on the puck just outside the crease, Kuhn raced in from the blue line and split the defenders, before lifting the puck just over the goalies' pads at 17:35.

With the momentum finally shifting their way, UMass Boston evened the score at 4-4 3:50 into period number three on another Daniel goal. Maciag's initial shot from the point was knocked down by a defender, but MacIntyre sent a shot on net that bounced out to Daniel, who proceeded to stab at the rebound three times before beating Comitini.

Finger put the Beacons on top 5-4 at 5:50 of the third period, when he rifled a shot through traffic for his team-leading third game-winning goal of the season.

The Beacons put the game away with under a minute to play, as Milam roofed home his ninth goal of the season off of passes from Finger and Bishop for the Beacons' second power-play tally of the game.

St. Michael's College outshot UMass Boston 37-26 for the contest.

Both teams excelled on special teams, as UMass Boston finished 2-for-4, while St. Michael's College ended the day 2-for-6. Each team added a short-handed goal in the contest as well.

UMass Boston will have a well-deserved rest, before the Beacons travel to St. Anselm College Friday night at 7 p.m.