St. Anselm Stuns Men's Hockey In Overtime

St. Anselm Stuns Men's Hockey In Overtime

MANCHESTER, N.H.—Senior defenseman Peter Sikalis scored with 1:40 to play in overtime to give host St. Anselm College their fourth and final lead on Senior Day at Sullivan Arena. 


 St. Anselm College 4, UMass Boston 3 (OT)

(UMass Boston 12-10-3, New England Hockey Conference 7-9-2)

(St. Anselm College 12-11-2, New England Hockey Conference 7-10-1)


After the Beacons came back from 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 deficits during the first two periods, Sikalis' unassisted tally in overtime lifted the Hawks past UMass Boston in the final regular-season meeting between the two programs. 

UMass Boston will be the sixth-seed in the upcoming New England Hockey Conference Tournament. The Beacons will take on rival #3 Babson College next Saturday at a time to be announced. This will mark the fifth-straight year the two teams have played in the conference tournament and ninth time in 13 years.

Senior Tyler Bishop (Ramsey, N.J.) scored a pair of power-play goals and added an assist on the other for UMass Boston in the loss. Saturday's game marked Bishop's first two-goal game of the season and second three-point game. 

Fellow senior Albee Daley (Averill Park, N.Y.) scored the first goal for the Beacons, who close out the regular-season on a three-game losing streak.

Freshman Bailey MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass.) made 23 saves on 25 shots, after coming on to start the second period. Jordan Bustard (Flanders, N.J.) was charged with two goals allowed on eight shots.

Trey Aiello (one assist), Nick Leonard and Jeremy Carnigan also scored for the hosts in the win.

Colin Soucy improved to 3-5 on the year by making 33 saves on 36 shots. 

Aiello got the Hawks on the board at 6:26, when he took a feed from Kerrigan and beat Bustard through the five-hole.

UMass Boston needed just 24 seconds to respond. After Daley won the ensuing face-off, the Beacons brought the puck into the zone and set up. Bryan Carter (Hudson, Mass.) went D-to-D with Bishop who's shot was knocked down by Soucy, only to have Daley poke home the rebound.

Leonard made it 2-1 in favor of St. Anselm when he scored an unassisted goal at 11:41.

Bishop would answer back on the power play at 18:02, after Nolan Redler (Winchester, Mass.) set him up for a one-timer from the blue line.

St. Anselm College took their third lead of the game at 8:05, with Aiello setting up Carnigan. 

UMass Boston took advantage of their second power play of the day to tie the game at 3-3. With less than thirty seconds left on the man-advantage, Bishop found the twine, with Redler and Ryan Cusin (Detroit, Mich.) earning assists. 

The Hawks pressed the Beacons through the third but couldn't take advantage of their two power plays and a 14-9 shot advantage.

Sikalis ended the game at 3:20 of the third, when he went top-shelf to send the Hawks piling off their bench. 


  • UMass Boston outshot the Hawks 36-33 and earned a 29-24 advantage in the face-off dot.
  • Cusin reached the 40-point mark in the loss for UMass Boston. He is the fifth Beacons player in the past five years to reach the mark, but the first to do so as a freshman.
  • UMass Boston ended the night 2-for-4 on the power play, while holding the Hawks to an 0-for-3 showing.
  • The loss snapped the Beacons' eight-game winning streak over St. Anselm College. The Beacons lead 26-24-1 all-time, with the Hawks leaving the NEHC at the end of this season.


#6 UMass Boston will travel to #3 Babson College on Saturday for the New England Hockey Conference Quarterfinals.