Feb. 20, 2010

Box Score

AMHERST, MA - The 13th-ranked Amherst College men's hockey team closed out the 2009-10 regular season this afternoon with a 1-1 overtime tie against visiting University of Massachusetts Boston at home. With the draw on Senior Day 2010, Amherst heads into the evening waiting to see if they will host a NESCAC Quarterfinal game next weekend or take to the road. The Beacons snapped an eight-game losing streak to the Lord Jeffs with their last non-loss coming in a 2-2 tie in Boston on January 20, 2001. UMass Boston will be the seventh seed in the ECAC East tournament and will travel to Babson Park, MA to play second-seeded Babson College on Saturday, February 27 at 7:00 p.m.

The Beacons got on the board first, just 4:30 into the first period, on a great individual effort by junior forward Matt Atsoff (Macomb, MI). After beating one defender, Atsoff went high over Amherst goaltender Cole Anderson's (Sylvan Lake, Alberta) blocker with a wrist shot for the opening goal and his 10th of the season on a feed from sophomore forward Andrew Burke (Southampton, PA). UMass Boston went on to out-shoot Amherst in the first period by a 12-7 margin, but late in the frame Amherst's Eddie Effinger (Belleville, IL) nearly scored on a shot that just sailed over the upper corner.

In the second frame, Amherst started the period with a solid effort on the penalty kill and then nearly equalized five minutes in on a hard wrist shot by junior Matt Rhone (Dedham, MA). UMass Boston goaltender Ryan Donovan (Rexford, NY) stopped that Rhone attempt, and then put together a pair of saves on Mark Colp (Wareham, MA) and Luke Arnold (Lincoln, MA) less than a minute later.

The third period saw Amherst out-shoot the Beacons 12-6, and 9:17 into the stanza the Lord Jeffs went on a 5-on-3 power play. During the two-man advantage, points-leader Joe Brock (Cumming, GA) lifted a wrist shot over Donovan's glove side to tie the game 1-1 with 9:31 remaining in regulation. Assists on the equalizer came from Colp and Nelson.

With three and a half minutes remaining in the third, Anderson made a nice glove save on senior forward Kris Kranzky (Glendora, CA) to keep the game knotted up at 1-1 and force overtime. In the extra session, Anderson made the save of the game two and a half minutes in as Kransky unleashed a hard slap shot from the point that the Lord Jeff backstop snagged out of the air. Neither team had another good scoring chance in overtime, as the final horn signaled the end of a 1-1 draw. Anderson made 28 saves in the game, while Donovan made 27 stops for the Beacons.

Material used in this report courtesy of Amherst College Sports Information.