Dec. 8, 2010

Box Score

BABSON PARK, MA - University of Massachusetts Boston freshman forward Travis Daniel (North Brunswick, N.J.) scored a spectacular goal with 18.7 seconds left to lift the visiting Beacons to a stunning 4-3 victory over host Babson College in a matchup of ECAC East rivals at the Babson Skating Center on Wednesday night. With the win, UMass-Boston enters the holiday break with a record of 6-2-0 overall and 3-2-0 in league play, while the Beavers fall to 4-4-0 overall and 3-2-0 in the ECAC East.

A turnover deep in the Babson zone led to UMass-Boston's first goal of the game early in the first, as junior Andrew Burke (Southampton, Pa.) intercepted an attempted clear on the left side and sent a centering pass into the slot. There, junior Anthony Fitti (Havertown, Pa.) hit a bouncing one-timer past Babson sophomore goalie Zeke Testa (Wellesley, Mass.) and inside the left post, giving the Beacons a 1-0 advantage at 4:39. It was Fitti's fourth goal of the year.

Both teams enjoyed numerous scoring changes in a fast-paced second period that featured a total of 34 shots and six powerplays. However, neither team would score until the final four minutes of the session, when Babson freshman Troy Starrett (Bellingham, Mass.) tipped classmate Ben Kravitz's (Huntingont, N.Y.) shot from the right point just inside the left post for his first collegiate goal on a powerplay at 16:08. However, UMass-Boston regained the lead with a powerplay score of its own later in the period, as Daniel stuffed home a rebound of senior Eric Tufman's (Abington, Pa.) shot from the blue line during a man-advantage at 19:26. It was Daniel's third goal of the winter and it gave the visitors a 2-1 lead heading into the second intermission.

The Beavers knotted the score again early in the third period. Junior Sean Roche (Franklin, Mass.) carried the puck into the UMass-Boston zone and passed it off to sophomore Trevor Hines (Newburyport, Mass.), who wristed his first goal of the season into the upper left corner from just outside the crease at 2:46. UMass-Boston then regained the advantage when junior Bill Baker (Vancouver, British Columbia) put back his own rebound from point blank range for his first goal of the year at 12:36, giving the Beacons a 3-2 lead.

That set the stage for an incredible final minute of play, which began with Babson pulling Testa on a powerplay for a two-skater advantage. During a tie-up along the boards in the right corner, junior Mike Hoban (Medfield, Mass.) knocked the puck out to first-year Matt Furey (Quincy, Mass.), who crossed it to fellow freshman Ryan Heavey (Andover, Mass.) at the left point. Heavey then wristed a shot that found its way through a crowd in front and into the upper left corner for his first collegiate goal, tying the contest at 3-3 with just 34.4 seconds left in regulation.

Despite the dramatic turn of events, UMass-Boston came right back off the ensuing face-off, as Tufman won the draw and sent the puck to junior John Hubbard (Arlington, Texas) on the right side. Hubbard then gained the zone and wristed a high shot toward the right circle, where Daniel redirected it out of mid-air and into the upper right corner for his second goal of the game and fourth of the season with 18.7 left on the clock. The Beavers would empty their net again for an extra attacker, but the Beacons defense did not allow a shot the rest of the way as UMass-Boston came away with the 4-3 victory.

Senior goalie Thomas Speer (Wausau, Wisc.) finished with 35 saves in net for the Beacons, while Testa turned away 31 shots in goal for Babson.

*Release courtesy of Babson College Sports Information Dept.