Western Connecticut Downs Men's Lacrosse in Conference Play

Western Connecticut Downs Men's Lacrosse in Conference Play

BOSTON, Mass. – Trailing by as many as seven, the Beacons managed to cut that lead to three with 5:44 left in regulation, but with a late flurry the visiting Colonials of Western Connecticut State University (6-4, 1-1 Little East) were able to hold off the rally and defeat men's lacrosse (1-6, 0-2 Little East) by the final of 13-7 Saturday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center Field.

Leading the late fourth quarter rally was freshman Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) who recorded two assists, while also scoring one goal.  Delpha also had one assist early in the third quarter to end the afternoon with a game-high four points.  

Matching Delpha's four-points was Western Connecticut's Ryan Foster who netted four of his team's 13 goals.  His final goal of the day came at the 1:54 mark in the fourth to secure the Colonials first conference win of the year.  He also managed back-to-back goals in the span of 16 seconds in the second, and added his third of the day at 9:08 in the third.

On the day a total of 13 different players found the back of the net respectively.  Ryan FitzGerald (Abington, Mass.) led UMass in goals scored with two.  Leo Ajemian (Walpole, Mass.) finished second on the team in assists with two and scored one of the Beacons three goals in the fourth.

As a team Western Connecticut held a 50-27 advantage in shots over UMass Boston.  They were also dominant at midfield as they won 16 of their 20 face-offs.  The duo of Eric Small and Andrew Bascom were hard to beat, with Small forcing the ball free and Bascom there to scoop it up almost immediately.  Bascom finished the day with a game-best 10 groundballs. 

Between the pipes senior Anthony Fitti (Havertown, Pa.) and freshman Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) combined for 26 saves respectively, with Bristol earning a career-high 15 stops in just 35 minutes of action.  Tyler Martone tallied 10 saves for the Colonials as he improved to 6-4 on the season.

Saturday's contest was a whistle filled event as UMass Boston was called for 14 penalties for 13 minutes, while Western Connecticut was whistled for four penalties for five minutes.  Of their 12 man-up chances, the Colonials scored a total of three times, while the Beacons took full advantage of their limited man-up opportunities scoring twice on their three chances.

The first quarter saw only two goals, both of which came from the Colonials.  In the second the flood gates opened for Western Connecticut as they outscored UMass 6-1 to take a 8-1 lead into the halftime break.

Even with the large deficit on the scoreboard, the Beacons never laid down once and came out of the break firing on all cylinders.  In the first five minutes UMass put two goals on the scoreboard to make it just a five-goal affair.

Western Connecticut would score their only goal of the third frame at the 9:08 mark, which was then followed-up by one more goal in the quarter and two more to start the fourth.  Nick Foley brought the Beacons run to an end at 7:09 with his second goal of the afternoon.  UMass would get just one more goal in the five six minutes of play, while Western Connecticut managed three of their own to secure the victory.

Men's Lacrosse returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Babson College for a 7 p.m. non-conference game.