Owls Fly Past Men's Lacrosse in Conference Action

Owls Fly Past Men's Lacrosse in Conference Action

BOSTON, Mass. – With a strong defensive effort coupled with a team-best five points from Taylor Jette the visiting Owls of Keene State College (6-5, 3-1 Little East) defeated men's lacrosse (2-10, 1-3 Little East) by the final score of 17-1 Wednesday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center Field.

Jette led Keene State to their straight win, second in conference play by tallying three goals and two assists.  JT Galloway was also instrumental in the win as he too finished with three goals, while also adding one assist to his line.

Goalies Eric Palmer and Jack Rogers combined for the victory as the duo made a total of 12 saves respectively.  Jette was also the Owls top groundball earner as he collected five in the contest, followed by Sean LeBlanc, David Shaw, and Christopher Pellati with four.  Shaw was also the go-to face-off man for Keene State as he won nine of his 15 face-offs.

Scoring the Beacons only goal in the contest was two-time Little East Conference Rookie of the Week selection Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.).  The freshman ended Boston's scoring drought in the third quarter on an unassisted play.  The goal marked his 22nd of the year overall.

In goal Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) continued to make some huge saves for the Beacons as the freshman finished with 21 stops on the day.  He would also lead the team in groundballs with eight.  Right behind him was Ryan Mahon who collected four groundballs.  Xavier Donaldson (Barnstable, Mass.) led his team on the face-off "X" as he won six in Wednesday's contest.

On day UMass Boston finished 15-for-24 on clear attempts, while Keene State went 17-for-20 overall.  Both teams were scoreless on man-up chances.  The Owls led the contest in both shots and groundballs with 55 and 53 respectively.  UMass tallied 21 shots and collected 25 groundballs. 

Wednesday's contest got off to a physical start as official's flags went flying early.  The afternoon's first goal did not come until the 10:07 mark of the first quarter on a man-down tally by Ian Hart, his 19th of the year.

From there Keene State would get off four more goals before the opening quarter came to a close.  The second quarter saw a four goal showing from the Owls as they entered the halftime break with a 9-0 lead.

After the intermission, Delpha ended the one-sided scoring affair with the Beacons only goal of the day at 14:17 of the third quarter.  Unfortunately that goal could not alter the momentum of Wednesday's contest as Keene came firing back scoring the afternoon's final eight goals.  All three of the Owls fourth quarter goals came within a 53 second window to secure the conference victory.

Men's Lacrosse returns to action on Saturday when they host Salem State University at 1 p.m.