April 2, 2009

Box Score

PORTLAND, ME -- Sophomore midfielder John Canty (Milton, MA) tallied five points with four goals and an assist and the defense did not allow a goal for the final 32:55 of play to lead the University of Massachusetts Boston men's lacrosse team over host Saint Joseph's College (ME) tonight in Portland, ME at Deering Memorial Field in a game called by the officials with 11:51 remaining due to thick fog. The Beacons improve to 1-3 on the season, while the Monks fall to 2-5.

UMass Boston junior midfielder Al Craven (Milton, MA) snapped a 4-4 tie with an unassisted goal at the 11:36 mark of the second quarter to begin an 11-goal blitz by the Beacons. Canty followed the go-ahead tally with one of is own just eight seconds later and UMass Boston netted three more before the end of the quarter. Junior attackman Aaron Pollock (Belmont, MA), Canty and Craven all found the back of the net, including Craven's with just 15 ticks left in the first half for a 9-4 lead. The Beacons' defense continued its stellar play, while the offense added six more goals in the third quarter, including a pair from junior midfielder Dale Nunn (Hillsborough, NJ), single scores from Craven, Canty, senior attackman Peter Kovach (Cohasset, MA) and junior Jared Doherty (Conway, NH), who made the switch to the midfield to start the game, responded with his second goal of the night as well as the second of his collegiate career.

UMass Boston netted the first three goals of the contest as Canty and Doherty scored goals prior to sophomore midfielder Roman Ricci's (Duxbury, MA) first goal of the season at 7:09 of the opening quarter. Saint Joseph's came right back with three goals of it's own. Sophomore attackman Kody Peckham (West Gardiner, ME) put the Monks on the board at the 4:38 mark with a man-up goal and freshman midfielder Jonathan Horgan (Hingham, MA) struck just 61 seconds later to cut the deficit to 3-2. Peckham pulled the home team even at 3-3 with his second tally coming just 1:23 later to cap a three-goal flurry in a span of 2:24. The Beacons stopped the scoring spree when Pollock reclaimed the lead for UMass Boston with 72 seconds left in the first quarter, but Horan took advantage of a man-up situation for Saint Joseph's, netting his second goal of the night just 14 seconds into the second quarter to knot the game at 4-4, before the Beacons offense erupted in the remainder of the game.

Canty added a ground ball to his day and won four of his six faceoffs, while Craven finished with three goals and three ground balls for UMass Boston. Pollock added a pair of assists to two goals and a team-high four ground balls, while Dunn finished with three points, including two goals in addition to a ground ball.

Horgan added an assist to his two goals for the Monks and scooped up a game-high seven ground balls, while sophomore middie Tokunbo Amosun (Gardiner, ME) picked up five ground balls and added a helper.

Freshman goalie Anthony Fitti (Havertown, PA) stopped seven shots in 30 minutes of action to earn the victory for the Beacons, while sophomore Matt Gradin (Milton, MA) turned away all four shots he faced in the final 18:09 of play. Freshman goaltender Don Gearan (Gorham, ME) made 13 saves in 29:45 of action for Saint Joseph's, before yielding to senior Nick Hannon (Windham, ME), who stopped five shots in the final 18:24 of play.

UMass Boston will be in action again on Saturday, April 4 when it travels to North Dartmouth, MA for a Little East Conference match at 1:00 p.m., while the Monks host Mount Saint Vincent (NY) on April 4 at 2:30 p.m.