Bridgewater State Rallies To Down Men's Soccer in Double OT

Bridgewater State Rallies To Down Men's Soccer in Double OT

BOSTON, Mass. – Four unanswered goals including the game-winner in the 107th minute earned the Bears of Bridgewater State University (5-4) a 4-3 double overtime victory over men's soccer (7-4) Tuesday afternoon at Clark Athletic Field.

Clinching the come-from-behind victory for Bridgewater State was Conor Murtagh on his first goal of the 2013 season.  The forward received a long pass from midfielder Camilo Mora which he pushed forward with his head.  With the ball up in the air, Murtagh was able to get around the Beacon defender and with a one-timer to the far post sealed the victory for the Bears with exactly three minutes left in the match.

The 4-3 overtime decision marked the second straight for the Bears over the Beacons.  Last season, UMB came from behind, but was edged out on a golden goal late in the first overtime.

Despite being out played by the Bears in the opening minutes the Beacons eventually settled down and would use a Marcus Pizzetti (Malden, Mass.) free kick goal to take a 1-0 lead into the half.  Pizzetti would score his second free kick goal of the afternoon less than four minutes into the second half to put UMB up 2-0.  The final goal for the Beacons came from Edmilson Barros (Boston, Mass.) on a penalty kick after a Bridgewater player was whistled for a handball in the box.

With the Beacons in firm control of the lead, the Bears knew they had to increase the pressure in hopes of closing the large gap on the scoreboard.  Bridgewater did get on the board in the 62nd minute on a Colin Neri goal.  From there it was the Bears leading scorer Craig Shadduck who evened the score at 3-3 to force the overtime play.  The forward made it a one-goal game on a penalty kick in the 79th minute after UMB was whistled for a take down in the box.

After that Shadduck drove home a flick from Danielson Andrade to knot the score at three each with less than five minutes to play in regulation.  With the momentum now in the corner of the visitors UMB knew they had to weather the storm and hold the Bears off the scoreboard in the closing minutes. 

With only one shot recorded in the final four minutes of action the two squads prepared for the two overtime periods.  The first 10 minutes of overtime was controlled by the Beacons, but they were unable to capitalize on their chances as they held a 3-2 advantage in shots.

In the second overtime it was all Bridgewater State for the most part, as they outshot the Beacons 5-3.  However Anderson Espana (Chelsea, Mass.) nearly ended the game with a rocket of a shot from 18 yards out, but that was stopped dead by a tremendous save from Matt Bagley.  Bagley, who notched his fifth win of the campaign on Tuesday made a total of three stops.  Rosales combined for six saves, and made an impressive save of his own moments after Bagley in the second overtime. 

Combined the Beacons held a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks, but it was all Bridgewater State in the shots category as they ended the contest with a 27-13 advantage, 10-6 shots on goal. 

The Beacons return to action this Saturday when they host the reigning Little East Conference champions Eastern Connecticut State University at 1 p.m. in a huge conference showdown.