Owls Fly Past Men's Soccer in Little East Conference Match

Owls Fly Past Men's Soccer in Little East Conference Match

BOSTON, Mass. - With two second half goals, both of which came in the span of one minute 51 seconds the Owls of Keene State College (5-9-0, 3-2-0 Little East) defeated men's soccer (9-6-1, 2-2-1 Little East) by the final of 3-1 Saturday afternoon at Clark Athletic Center Field in a Little East Conference match.

The two late tallies ended a back-and-forth battle which saw the score deadlocked at 1-1 since the 20th minute of the contest.  Netting the lone goal for the Beacons at the 19:13 mark was Roland Barbosa (Fogo, Cape Verde) off of an Edmilson Barros (Boston, Mass.) and Lenir Lima (Mindelo, Cape Verde) assist. 

The tally marked the seventh of the year for the junior.  For the Owls, all three of their goals were scored on unassisted plays, with the first coming in the eighth minute from Michael Jacques.  The final two tallies which secured the win for Keene State came from Matt Langford in the 71st and Yazid Eideh in the 72nd minutes respectively.

Between the goal posts, Mike Ketterman tallied two stops to earn his second win of the 2013 campaign.  Alfonso Rosales (Revere, Mass.) tallied eight stops, before Camilo Florez (Manizales, Colombia) closed out the final 15 minutes of play, in which he made three saves of his own.

With playoff implications on the line for both squads, the Beacons knew with a victory they would increase their chances of making the program's first Little East postseason appearance since 2006.  Keene State, who has come on strong in the month of October, also knew if they were to walk away with a win they would better their chances for a spot in this year's conference tournament. 

Despite the loss, the Beacons still have a chance to earn a spot in the postseason as they now sit fourth overall in the conference standings.  The win put the Owls in firm control of third place behind UMass Dartmouth and Eastern Connecticut State University.

Saturday's match, which turned out to a be a heated affair between two hungry squads saw the scoreless draw end when Jacques slid his second goal of 2013 past Rosales in the opening minutes.

Eleven minutes later the three Beacons would connect to tie the score at 1-1, with Barbosa driving home a shot from right outside the top of the goal box to the near post.  Unfortunately moments later the heated battle would begin to make an impact as a total of four yellow cards were handed out, with two going to the same UMB player which resulted in a red card ejection.  With the red card, the Beacons were forced to play the next 70 minutes down a man.  Despite the now 11-on-10 advantage in favor of the Owls, the Beacons continued their pressure throughout the remainder of the first half. 

After the break the two teams continued their dance with neither team backing down an inch.  Unfortunately Keene State would capitalize on back-to-back plays to push the momentum in their favor.  Just like the first the second also saw a pair of cards handed out by the official.  Despite the Beacons best efforts the two tallies by the Owls proved too much to overcome.

On the day Keene State held a 27-10 advantage in shots and an 8-1 advantage in corners.

The Beacons return to action on Tuesday when they host Massachusetts Maritime Academy at 3 p.m.