DARTMOUTH, Mass. – UMass Boston sophomore Raffi DeSouza (Watertown, Mass.) piled on the first two of the second-half goals to put the contest out of reach for the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, with the Beacons capitalizing for a 4-0 Little East Conference victory on Saturday.
UMass Boston 4, UMass Dartmouth 0
UMass Boston (8-3-1, 4-1-0 Little East Conference)
UMass Dartmouth (2-6-1, 2-3-0 Little East Conference)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Just 10 minutes in, the Beacons eased into a 1-0 lead when the initial shot off the foot of Jake Higgins (Pembroke, Mass.) deflected into the net for an own goal on the Corsairs. The mishap would mark the only tally of the stanza despite 18 shots combined between both sides. UMass Dartmouth goalkeeper Danny Andrade kept the Corsairs in contention with eight of his 11 saves in the opening 45 minutes.
DeSouza then built the advantage to 2-0 in the 56th minute, heading a clean shot into the bottom right of the net on the corner kick from Daniel Morales (San Diego, Calif.). Just six minutes later, Morales and DeSouza connected again, this time with a quick pass from Morales opening up DeSouza for a 30-yard blast that landed in just over the fingertips of Andrade.
UMass Boston added one more for good measure in the 77th minute, as freshman Anderson Valeus (Mattapan, Mass.) registered his first collegiate marker on a redirect from a perfectly-placed cross by Juan Nieto (Barquisimento, Venezuela).
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Beacons outshot the Corsairs 25-8, 19-4 in shots on goal
- Aidan Carter collected his second complete shutout in 2017 after making just four saves
- UMass Boston also led 8-1 in corner kicks, with six of those coming in the first half
- The two-goal game marked the second of the season for DeSouza
- The Beacons have now won four straight over the Corsairs, and earned their 11th win all-time on Saturday
- The four goals marked the most since the Beacons 7-0 rout of the Corsairs back on September 27, 2014
The Beacons will travel to Emmanuel College on Monday for a 7 p.m. non-conference match.
Information for this release provided by UMass Dartmouth sports information department