April 25, 2011
PROVIDENCE, RI - The University of Massachusetts Boston men's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to Johnson & Wales University at the Moses Brown Courts on Monday afternoon. With the win, the Wildcats improve to 2-9 on the season while the Beacons fall to 1-9 overall.
JWU took the 2-1 lead after doubles action with sophomore Drew Pontillo (Slingerlands, N.Y.) and fellow sophomore Todd Zimmerman (Whitehall, Pa.) posting a 9-8 win at No. 2 doubles. Freshman Seth Shavers (Hyde Park, MA) and junior T. Leng (Phnom Penh, Cambodia) teamed up to capture No. 1 doubles for the Beacons with a dominant 8-1 win.
In singles play, Shavers also notched a convincing 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles but Pontillo also recorded an impressive 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles for JWU. The other UMass Boston win came at NO. 4 singles as freshman Lyle Analetto (Belmont, MA) took home the 6-4, 4-6, (10-4) win. Freshman Brian Martens (Islandia, N.Y.) also had a pair of victories on the day for the Wildcats, winning 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 singles and teaming with sophomore James Klaper (Glenville, N.Y.) for an 8-6 win at the third doubles spot.
UMass Boston will return to action on Saturday, April 30 when they head to Gorham, ME for a 1:00 p.m. match against the University of Southern Maine. The Wildcats will return to action on Thursday, April 28th when they travel to Suffolk for the semifinals of the 2011 Great Northeast Athletic Conference Championship.
1. T. Leng / Seth Shavers (umb) def. john sepowitz/nick simon (jwu), 8-1
2. Drew Pontillo/Todd Zimmerman (jwu) def. Lyle Analetto / Quentin Hure (umb), 9-8 (7-3)
3. James Klapper/Brian Martens (jwu) def. Andrey Boguslavskiy / El Jan Daulo (umb), 8-6
1. Shavers (umb) def. Zimmerman (jwu), 6-3,6-1
2. Simon (jwu) def. Leng (umb), 6-3,6-0
3. Jesse wils (jwu) def. Boguslavskiy (umb), 2-6,6-3, (10-8)
4. Analetto (umb) def. Chris Cummings (jwu), 6-3,4-6, (10-4)
5. Pontillo (jwu) def. Hure (umb), 6-2,6-0
6. Martens (jwu) def. Daulo (umb), 6-1,6-2