May 1, 2011
BOSTON, MA - The Western Connecticut State University men's tennis team cruised to a 9-0 victory over the University of Massachusetts Boston Sunday afternoon at the Boston College High School courts. With the win, the Colonials improve to 9-2 on the year and 5-1 in LEC play while the loss drops the Beacons to 1-12 and 0-6.
The Colonials took a stronghold of the match by sweeping doubles play. Junior Troy Pandolfi (Danbury, CT) and senior John Phillips (Hartford, CT) teamed up at No. 1 doubles to coast to an 8-0 win over freshman Seth Shavers (Hyde Park, MA) and senior Himanshu Dubey (Lucknow, India). In No. 2 doubles action, senior Andrew Kelley (Weston, CT) and junior Austin Werner (Fairfield, CT) downed the UMB duo of junior Andrey Boguslavskiy (Volgograd, Russia) and junior T. Leng (Phnom Penh, Cambodia), 8-3. The freshman combo of Brian Bucknam (Woodbury, CT) and Ryan Kelm (Newport, RI) notched an 8-0 win in No. 3 singles over El Jan Daulo (Koronadal City, Philippines) and Quetin Huré (Paris, France) to complete the doubles sweep.
In singles play, the only match that was not straight sets was between Kelley and Boguslavskiy in No. 4 singles action. Kelley took the first set 6-0 before Boguslavskiy evened the match with a 6-2 second set win but the Colonials senior fired back with a 6-3 win in the third set to take home the win.
UMass Boston's season comes to a close while Western Connecticut will play later this week in the Little East Conference tournament.
1. Troy Pandolfi/John Phillips (WCSU) def. Himanshu Dubey/Seth Shavers (UMB), 8-0
2. Andrew Kelley/Austin Werner (WCSU) def. Andrey Boguslavskiy/T. Leng (UMB), 8-3
3. Brian Bucknam/Ryan Clem (WCSU) def. El Jan Daulo/Quentin Hure (UMB), 8-0
1. Pandolfi (WCSU) def. Shavers (UMB), 6-0,6-1
2. Phillips (WCSU) def. Leng (UMB), 6-0,6-0
3. Werner (WCSU) def. Dubey (UMB), 6-1,6-0
4. Kelley (WCSU) def. Boguslavskiy (UMB), 6-0,2-6,6-3
5. Bucknam (WCSU) def. Hure (UMB), 6-2,6-0
6. Klem (WCSU) def. Daulo (UMB), 6-0,6-0