Cavolo Lifts Women's Hockey to Overtime Win

Box Score

BOSTON, Mass. – With less than 13 seconds left in overtime, sophomore forward Sarahanne Cavolo (Roxbury, N.H.) redirected a Tori PIzzuto (Waterbury, Conn.) slap shot into the back of the net, giving women's hockey a 4-3 ECAC East conference victory over St. Michael's College Saturday afternoon in the Clark Athletic Center Ice Rink.

With time quickly counting down, the Beacons (3-4-1, 2-3-1 ECAC East) went into rapid fire mode as they peppered the Purple Knights (0-5-1, 0-5-1 ECAC East) defense.  Pizzuto would actually fire in a pair of slap shots in the closing seconds.  Her first would hit off a defender to teammate Emily LaRosa (Weymouth, Mass.).  LaRosa would then play the puck out to Pizzuto for another chance at goal. 

The sophomore defenseman wound up again and fired the puck back in, however this time it would find her teammate as she cut in front of the net.  The puck deflected off of Cavolo and past St. Michael's goalie Erin Stevens giving the Beacons the huge conference win.

The overtime victory is the first for UMass Boston since their 3-2 win over Salve Regina last season on February 26.

On the day, the Beacons completely dominated their ECAC East conference opponents as they outshot St. Michael's 47-32.  However they would go 0-for-4 on the power-play, while the Purple Knights managed to net one power-play goal on their three chances. 

UMass Boston wasted little time getting on the scoreboard, scoring the game's first goal at 4:13 in the opening frame.  Kelly Sharlow (Potsdam, N.Y.) gave the Beacons the early 1-0 lead on her first goal of the season.  Cavolo and Katie Loiselle (Glocester, R.I.) assisted on the score.

St. Michael's would tie the game at 1-1 at 11:46 in the first, and would actually take the lead at 5:40 in the second period.  UMass Boston would respond with a pair of goals in the second, to take their second lead of the night.  Dylan Caron (Burrillville, R.I.) and LaRosa would come through for UMass at 9:37 and 17:15 respectively.

Unfortunately goal lead would last only two minutes forty-seven seconds, as the Purple Knights tied the game at 3-3 just 12 seconds into the third.  The two teams would remain even for the next 19 minutes, 48 seconds forcing the overtime period.

Both teams would have their chances in the extra frame, but the night would belong to the Beacons as Cavolo would lift her team to the conference win.

In goal Jami Cudmore (Balgonie, Saskatchewan) improved to 2-0-1 on the season after totaling 29 saves in the win.  For St. Michael's Erin Stevens had a very strong outing making a combined 43 saves before falling to 0-5-1 on the year.

Women's hockey returns to the ice on Sunday, November 27 when they travel to Colby College for a 2 p.m. game.