EAST BOSTON, Mass. – A pair of third period goals from Tess Adams lifted Suffolk University to a 3-1 win over women's hockey in a New England Hockey Conference match-up Friday afternoon at Porrazzo Rink.
UMass Boston 1, Suffolk University 3
UMass Boston (7-11-2, 4-6-2 New England Hockey Conference)
Suffolk University (13-6-1, 8-2-1 New England Hockey Conference)
HOW IT HAPPENED
A late goal in the first period by Sydney Tietz ended the scoreless draw between the two crosstown rivals. Tietz fired the puck one player standing in front of the crease. The puck beat Caty Flagg (Methuen, Mass.) glove side, to give the Rams the early edge.
After a scoreless second, Adams gave the Rams some breathing room with her first goal at the 12:48 mark. Less than three minutes later, Adams secured the win with her second of the night. Shana Cote assisted both of the goals.
Jane Morrisette (Pembroke, Mass.) ended the Rams' shutout bid at 17:35 of the third period, when she shot the puck from the point and beat Kristen Caporusso to the far side.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Suffolk University held a 26-23 advantage in shots on goal
- The Beacons finished 1-for-4 on the power-play, while the Rams went 0-for-3
- All-time UMass Boston is now 0-1-1 against the Rams
- Morrisette's goal was her seventh of the season which moved her into a tie for second on the team
- Flagg finsiehd with 23 saves and fell to 1-4-1 on the year
The Beacons will host Salem State University tomorrow at 1 p.m.