Western Connecticut State Downs Women's Soccer 4-2

Western Connecticut State Downs Women's Soccer 4-2

DANBURY, Conn.—Playing on the expansive Westside Athletic Complex Field, #23 UMass Boston couldn't keep up with Western Connecticut State University Saturday afternoon, as they fell 4-2 to the Colonials.

After defeating Eastern Connecticut State University and Keene State College for the first time in program history earlier this year, the Beacons couldn't defeat their third perennial Little East Conference contender in as many tries. UMass Boston fell to 14-2 and 5-1 in LEC play and lost their 19th match in 20 tries against the Colonials.

The Beacons can still clinch their first-ever LEC Regular Season Title with a win next Saturday against Plymouth State University.

With the win, the Colonials moved into a 3-way-tie for third place at 4-2 in conference with UMass Dartmouth and Keene State. Western Connecticut State moved to 12-3-1 with the victory, as they honored their eight seniors before the game.

Sophomore forward Krista Ledin (Bridgewater, Mass.) led the Beacons with two goals on seven shots. The forward upped her league-leading total to 20 goals and 46 points, while Tayla Andrews (Plymouth, Mass.) tied the league-lead with her eight assist of the year.

Sarah Menta led the Colonials with two goals, while Jessica Choronzy and Rebecca Rivera each scored a goal apiece. All four goals for Western Connecticut State were scored by underclassmen, as Cecelia Dias was the lone senior to pick up a point (with an assist).

Western Connecticut dominated from the start with two goals in the first 10 minutes on their expansive turf field in front of a large crowd.

The Colonials scored twice within a minute, when Choronzy buried a high shot off a pass from Ariana D'Aurio at the 8:55 mark. And 42 seconds later, Menta scored off a pass from Dias on a shot through the legs of Kristen Spain (Quincy, Mass.).

Spain would go on to allow four goals on five shots on goal, before being replaced after 68 minutes of action. Fellow sophomore Dani Perkins (Murrieta, Calif.) played the final 22:08 and made one save.

Ledin broke up the Colonials momentum with a goal 25 seconds after Menta's strike. At the 10:02 mark, Ledin found a rebound off a shot from Andrews and chipped it over senior keeper Jamie Trayer to make it 2-1.

Western Connecticut grabbed a 3-1 lead less than 10 minutes later off of a corner kick. Sophomore Danielle Soucy sent a terrific corner kick into the box and Rivera sent it home on the far post. 

The score would stay at 3-1 heading to half thanks to some strong play from the Trayer twins. Goalkeeper Jamie made four saves in the first stanza and was extremely aggressive in coming off her line, while her twin-sister Samantha Trayer was fantastic in blanketing Ledin and Andrews. 

Menta got the Colonials on the board six minutes into the second half when she skipped a low shot past Spain on the far post. 

While Ledin would cut the deficit to 4-2 in the 70th minute with a chip shot past the keeper, the Beacons would get no closer despite several chances in the box.

UMass Boston will have off until Thursday when they travel to Framingham State University for their final non-conference game of the season.