Sept. 11, 2010
BOSTON, MA - The University of Massachusetts Boston women's tennis team defeated Lyndon State College, 8-1, this afternoon in their home-opener at the Boston College High School courts in Boston, MA. With the victory, the Beacons improve to 2-1 on the season while the loss drops the Hornets to 0-2 overall.
UMass Boston sophomore Anitra Kloczewiak (Newton, MA) played well out of the number one singles spot, making quick work of senior Jenn Falsetti (Readsboro, VT), 6-1, 6-2. Sophomore Wendy Steinman (Dudley, MA) also was efficient in her number five singles match, winning 6-2, 6-0 over freshman Margaret George (Glover, VT). Freshmen Destanee Ringler (Scituate, MA) (6-2, 7-5) and Samantha Counts (Bridgewater, MA) (6-4, 6-3) won in straight sets out of the number two and four single spots, respectively, over freshman Kayla Flynn (Johnston, RI) and senior Amber Hartman (Readsboro, VT). Freshman MaKenna Hughes (Yarmouthport, MA) needed a tie-breaker to earn the 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) win over sophomore Maria Parr (Montpelier, VT) in number three singles play while sophomore Hieu Nguyen (Dorchester, MA) did not drop a set against sophomore Caitlin Cunningham (South Stratford, VT) before the sophomore withdrew from play due to an injury suffered during the action.
In doubles action, Kloczewiak and Hughes teamed up at number one doubles to defeat Falsetti and freshman Kelsey Johnson (White River Junction, VT), 8-2. Parr and Flynn were able to avoid the shutout for the Hornets, collecting the 9-8 (7-4) win in number two doubles action over Steinman and Ringler while Counts and Nguyen topped George and Hartman, 8-3, in third doubles play.
1. MaKenna Hughes/Anitra Kloczewiak (UMB) def. Jenn Falsetti/Kelsey Johnson (LSC), 8-2
2. Kayla Flynn/Maria Parr (LSC) def. Destanee Ringler/Wendy Steinman (LSC), 9-8 (7-4)
3. Samantha Counts/Hieu Nguyen (UMB) def. Margaret George/Amber Hartman (LSC), 8-3
1. Kloczewiak (UMB) def. Falsetti (LSC), 6-1,6-2
2. Ringler (UMB) def. Flynn (LSC), 6-2,7-5
3. Hughes (UMB) def. Parr (LSC), 6-1,7-6 (7-3)
4. Counts (UMB) def. Hartman (LSC), 6-4,6-3
5. Steinman (UMB) def. George (LSC), 6-2,6-0
6. Nguyen (UMB) def. Kaitlin Cunningham (LSC), 5-0, retired (injury)