Oct. 11, 2008
GORHAM, ME - Junior Emily Johnson (Saugus, MA) and sophomore Carolina Gonzalez (Bridgewater, MA) each were double winners to lead the UMass Boston Beacons to a 8-1 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference women's tennis match Saturday in Gorham, Maine.
With the win UMass Boston concludes its regular season with an overall record of 6-5 and a 2-5 mark in the Little East. The loss is the 10th straight for Southern Maine as the Huskies close out their regular season at 1-11 overall and 0-7 in the conference. Both teams will competed in the 2008 Little East Conference Championship beginning Tuesday. The Huskies will face the top-seeded UMass Dartmouth Corsairs at a time to be determined, while the Beacons will face Rhode Island College.
Johnson and Gonzalez paired to defeat the Huskies' tandem of juniors Erica Robertson (St. Albans, Vt./Bellows Free) and Melissa Ford (Camden, Maine/Camden Hills) 8-1 at first singles. Johnson and Gonzalez helped the Beacons to two out of three doubles points. In singles action, Johnson defeated Robertson 6-3, 6-1 in first singles, while Gonzalez earned a 6-2, 6-0 win over USM freshman Amanda Coleman (Levant, Maine/Hermon) at second singles for her fifth straight singles win and her ninth straight combined victory between singles and doubles to improve to 13-10 combined.
Coleman and senior Samantha Lord (Pelham, N.Y./Bonny Eagle) earned Southern Maine's lone point of the match taking a 8-6 decision at second doubles.
UMass Boston (6-5, 2-5 LEC) 8, Southern Maine (1-11, 0-7 LEC) 1
1. Emily Johnson (UMB) def. Erica Robertson (SM), 6-3, 6-1
2. Carolina Gonzalez (UMB) def. Amanda Coleman (SM), 6-2, 6-0
3. Lauren O'Connor (Everett, MA) (UMB) def. Melissa Ford (SM), 6-2, 6-0
4. Imani Williams (Roxbury, MA) (UMB) def. Chelsea Cutler (SM), 6-0, 6-0
5. Brittany Engel (Freehold, NJ) (UMB) def. Samantha Lord (SM), 6-3, 6-0
6. Jillian Hurd (Taunton, MA) (UMB) def. Ashley Oliver (SM), 6-4, 7-5
1. Johnson/Gonzalez (UMB) def. Robertson/Ford (SM), 8-1
2. Coleman/Lord (SM) def. Katie McPherson (South Park, PA)/Williams (UMB), 8-6
3. Engel/O'Connor (UMB) def. Cutler/Oliver (SM), 8-1