Oct. 11, 2010
Providence, RI -- Sophomore Anitra Kloczewiak (Newton, MA) and freshman Destanee Ringler (Scituate, RI) combined for an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles and won their respective singles matches as UMass Boston picked up a 7-2 win over Rhode Island College at the RIC Tennis Courts. The win was the Beacons first over RIC since Oct. 7, 2001 and only the second victory over the Anchorwomen in program history.
UMass Boston improves to 7-6 overall and 2-5 in the Little East Conference. RIC falls to 0-13 and 0-7 in league action.
Kloczewiak won in straight sets (6-2, 6-1) at No. 1 singles, while Ringler bounced back from a 6-3 loss in the first set to RIC sophomore Doris Belanger (West Warwick, RI) to take the final two frames (6-1, 6-1) at the second spot. UMB sophomore Wendy Steinman (Dudley, MA) also was a two-time winner, earning decisions at No. 6 singles and the third doubles spot.
RIC sophomore Shannon Bilodeau (Seekonk, MA) won a straight set match for the hosts at No. 3 singles (6-3, 6-2) and paired with freshman Brandee McGee (Aliso Viejo, CA) for an 8-3 victory at the third doubles spot.
The Beacons will be back in action on Wednesday, October 13 when they travel across the city to face Suffolk University in a 6:00 p.m. match while the Anchorwomen hosts Emerson College the same day at 3:30 p.m.
1. Anitra Kloczewiak (UMB) def. Gabriela Batek (RIC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Destanee Ringler (UMB) def. Doris Belanger (RIC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Shannon Bilodeau (RIC) def. Brittany Engel (UMBWT) 6-3, 6-2
4. MaKenna Hughes (UMB) def. Kayla Morris (RIC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Samantha Counts (UMB) def. Brandee McGee (RIC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Wendy Steinman (UMB) def. Kassandra Lima (RIC) 6-4, 6-4
1. Kloczewiak/Ringler (UMB) def. Batek/Doris (RIC) 8-2
2. Bilodeau/McGee (RIC) def. Hughes/Hieu Nguyen (UMB) 8-3
3. Engel/Wendy (UMB) def. Morris/Lima (RIC) 8-3
*Release content provided courtesy of RIC Sports Information Dept.