BOSTON, Mass. – A combined nine runs through the first two innings lifted top-seeded baseball to an impressive 12-2 win over the second-seeded Lyons of Wheaton College (MA) in game four of the UMass Boston Regional Saturday afternoon at Monan Park.
#1 UMass Boston 12, #2 Wheaton College (MA) 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
Nick Cotraro (Beverly, Mass.) led the Beacons early inning onslaught as he registered six RBI on a 3-for-4 day for the junior outfielder. Fernando Burgos (Hyde Park, Mass.) was dominant on the hill as he improved to 8-0 on the campaign. In seven innings of work the righty fanned five and allowed just two runs on seven hits, while not allowing a walk. His seven innings of work moved him into first all-time in innings pitched.
Nick Nerzog (Riverhead, N.Y.) continued to swing a strong bat as he went 3-for-5 with three runs scored and an RBI. Herzog and Cotraro both had doubles in the one-sided win, with Cotraro also recording the game's only triple. Danny Brown (Hudson, N.H.) and Charlie Huegi (Sandy Hook, Conn.) also recorded extra base hits, both of which were doubles.
Cotraro got the Beacons on the scoreboard in the top of the first inning an a two-run single to right field. Eddie Riley (Quincy, Mass.) then plated UMB's third run of the opening frame on an RBI groundout.
In the second inning the Beacons really took control of the contest, as Josh Lopez (New London, Conn.) drove in a pair of runs on an RBI fielder's choice and an error by the Lyons. Boudrias pushed the Beacons lead to 6-0 on an RBI single to right. Cotraro continued his hot day scoring a pair of runs on his triple to make it 8-0. Brown then made it a nine-run lead on an RBI double to center to close out the scoring for UMB.
After four scoreless innings, Herzog and Cotraro combined for three-runs to push UMB's lead to 12-0. Wheaton's only runs came in the seventh, on a pair of RBI singles.
Matt Demma (Worcester, Mass.) finished day on the hill and did not allow a hit to seal the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- UMass Boston is 3-0 all-time against the Lyons in the NCAA Tournament (2010, 2017 College World Series).
- Burgos set the program record for innings pitched with a combined 246.1 innings of work. He also has 169 strikeouts and just 95 walks in his career
- UMass Boston recorded a combined 12 hits in the win and have combined for 27 runs in their two wins
- Head coach Brendan Eygabroat earned his 350th career victory in the win.
- UMass Boston is now 15-4 in NCAA Regional Tournament play
- Senior Kyle Boudrias (Medford, Mass.) set the program record for career at-bats (704) on Saturday.
The Beacons will face the winner of the elimination game between Wheaton College/St. Joseph's College of Maine tomorrow at 11 a.m. The Beacons will need to win just one game to advance to the Super Regional.