Third Period Rally Pushes Men's Ice Hockey Past UMass Dartmouth

Third Period Rally Pushes Men's Ice Hockey Past UMass Dartmouth

BOSTON, Mass.—In a wild and back-and-forth contest, UMass Boston (2-1) scored two goals in less than a minute late in the third period to hand in-state rival UMass Dartmouth (0-1-1) a 5-4 loss Saturday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center.

After grabbing a 3-1 period late in the first period, UMass Boston watched as the Corsairs scored three straight goals to grab a lead early in the third period. The Beacons would answer though with goals from freshman Max Reavis (Omaha, Neb.) and senior Tim Richter (Naugatuck, N.J.) in a 41-second span. Reavis had the best game of his young collegiate career, with a goal and an assist-the first two points of his career.

Freshman Frankie DeAugustine (Pittsburgh, Pa.) added his first career goal, while senior Rob Florentino (West Roxbury, Mass.) added his first goal of the season and two assists. Freshman Mike Miller (Wrentham, Mass.) scored his second goal in as many games for the Beacons 

Freshman Jeremy Finger (Orlando, Fla.) added two assists in his first career game.

Goaltender Zach Andrews (Coral Springs, Fla.) earned his second career win by making 27 saves including double-digit saves in each of the first two periods.

The Beacons outshot the Corsairs 32-31 behind a 10-5 advantage in the final period. UMass Dartmouth held a 38-31 edge in the faceoff circle, but UMass Boston earned the win on the power play. On special teams, UMass Boston went 2-for-4 on the power play, while holding the Corsairs 0-for-2.

UMass Dartmouth jumped out to a 1-0 less than nine minutes into the game on the first goal of the season from Dave McDonald.

The lead would be short-lived though, as UMass Boston found the back of the net three times over the next 10 minutes. At the 12:09 mark, UMass Boston tied it 1-1 with a power-play goal, when DeAugustine beat Corsairs goalie Ryan Williams for his first career goal. Florentino and freshman Kit Sitterley (Mooresville, N.C.) recorded assists on the play.

Three minutes later, Miller scored his second goal of the year on Finger's first career assist. The Beacons capped off the flurry at the 18:09 mark when Finger fed Florentino to make it 3-1.

UMass Dartmouth would get one back before the period ended, when Dmitry Antipin scored his first goal of the year less than a minute before the buzzer.

Nick Marquis tied the game at three with a second period goal and Phil Bronner gave the Corsairs their only lead of the day with a goal 1:58 into the third period. UMass Dartmouth looked like they were on their way to their first win of the year over the next 10 minutes-as they limited the Beacons chances to shots from the blue line.

The momentum of the game completely changed at the 13:08 mark when Reavis scored an unassisted goal to tie the game at four. UMass Boston finished off the comeback 41 seconds later when Richter scored the Beacons second power-play goal of the game, with Reavis and Florentino picking up assists.

UMass Dartmouth would commit a penalty less than two minutes later hurting their comeback efforts, as the Beacons held the Corsairs without a shot over the final 10 minutes of the period.

Men's Hockey returns to action next Friday when they host Castleton State College at 7 p.m. in an ECAC East contest.