BRUNSWICK, Maine—Behind a 26-save shutout from tournament MVP Bailey MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass.), #9/12 UMass Boston men's hockey easily dispatched host Bowdoin College to win the Colby/Bowdoin Classic.
#9/12 UMass Boston 4, Bowdoin 0
(UMass Boston 9-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
UMass Boston scored two goals in each of the first two periods and dominated the Polar Bears from start to finish to win their first in-season tournament since the 2013-14 season.
MacBurnie made 21 saves over the final two periods to record his second collegiate shutout. In two games this weekend, MacBurnie went 2-0 and stopped 61 of 62 shots for a .983 save percentage.
He got plenty of help from senior captain Colin Larkin (Waterford, Mich.), who recorded a pair of goals and added an assist in the win.
Freshmen Zack Bross (St. Louis, Mo.) added the game-winning tally, and Bryan Carter (Hudson, Mass.) also found the back of the net for the Beacons. Bross and fellow freshman Nick Albano (Beverly, Mass.) each tacked on two assists in the win.
Bowdoin College goalie Peter Cronin made a career-high 46 saves on 50 shots in the loss.
The Beacons went up early with a Bross goal just 3:57 into the contest. Larkin collected the puck behind the net and found Bross above the crease for a quick put back.
Nine seconds into its first power play of the game, UMass Boston added to its lead. Bross slid a pass right to Albano at the point who fired off a shot, Larkin deflected the puck as it flew past to best Cronin at 11:30 of the first.
A Bowdoin turnover in the neutral zone gave the Beacons a two-on-goal 28 seconds into the second period. Larkin and Bross skated towards Cronin with Larkin burying the puck.
During four-on-four action in the waning minutes of the period, Daniel McMullan looked to put Bowdoin on the board as he poked the puck into MacBurnie's pads. The play was whistled dead before the Polar Bears could convert.
Carter responded, as he flew down the left side and collected a pass in stride from Albano, before burying an open look to the near post at 19:06 of the second.
BY THE NUMBERS
- UMass Boston outshot the Polar Bears 46-26, including earning a 19-5 advantage in the first period.
- The Beacons finished 1-for-6 on the power play, while Bowdoin went 0-for-4.
- With the win, UMass Boston avenged a 5-0 loss at the hands of the Polar Bears the last time they played in the Bowdoin/Colby Classic (2015). UMass Boston improved to 7-29-2 all-time.
- Larkin finished the weekend with three goals and two assists, while Bross finished with two goals and three assists.
- MacBurnie has allowed one goal or fewer in three of his past four appearances and two goals or fewer in seven of his starts.
#9/12 UMass Boston will return to the Bay State for a huge New England Hockey Conference home-and-home series this weekend. The Beacons will travel to Babson College on Friday at 7 p.m., before hosting their rivals on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Parts of this release courtesy of Bowdoin College Sports Info