BRUNSWICK, Maine – Ethan Kimball scored with less than a minute remaining in regulation, to lift host Bowdoin College past UMass Boston men's hockey 2-1 win in the Championship Game of the Bowdoin/Colby Face-off Classic.
Bowdoin College 2, UMass Boston 1
(UMass Boston 4-4)
(Bowdoin College 3-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Bowdoin scored the game's first goal with 1:05 remaining in the first period. Cam Berube fired a shot from the point that was turned away by Bailey MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass). Andy Stoneman quickly cleaned up the rebound for his first collegiate goal.
With under two to play in the second period, Dakota Keene (Poland, Maine) broke away into the Bowdoin zone for a one-on-goal. Alex Zafonte made a sprawling save on the shot to the near post to keep UMass Boston off the board.
The Beacons broke through and tied the game at 8:47 in the third. Chris Peters (Fairport, N.Y.) wristed a shot from above the left circle, going top shelf for the equalizer.
After a faceoff win the in the Bowdoin zone, Ethan Nitkin (Miami Beach, Fla.) fired a shot directly on net, with Zafonte making a quick blocker save to keep the game tied.
With 57 seconds remaining in regulation, Ronnie Lestan won a faceoff on the right side and kicked the puck back to Kimball, who one-timed a shot off the feed and fired the puck past MacBurnie.
By the Numbers
- UMass Boston outshot the Polar Bear 32-28, including a 14-9 mark in the third period.
- MacBurnie made 26 stops for the Beacons in his first start in five games. Zafonte made 31 saves for the Polar Bears.
- The Beacons were 0-for-3 on the power play and held Bowdoin to an 0-for-2 showing on the power play.
- Peters has now recorded a point all six games he's played in this season.
- With the loss, UMass Boston falls to 7-30-2 all-time against the Polar Bears.
After wrapping up their six-game road trip, UMass Boston will finally return home to host Suffolk University on Friday night at 7 p.m.
Parts of this release courtesy of Bowdoin College Sports Information Department