Cougars Claw Past Lacrosse in Non-Conference Play

Cougars Claw Past Lacrosse in Non-Conference Play

WORCESTER, Mass. – Led by Jacob Maselek's and Jeffrey Wasson's hat-tricks the Cougars of Clark University handed lacrosse their second loss of the week as they defeated the Beacons by the final of 13-7 Friday evening.

With Friday's loss UMass Boston fell to 2-4 on the season, while the host Cougars improved to 2-1 overall.

Along with the hat tricks from Maselek and Wasson, Clark also used a five-goal fourth quarter to seal the non-conference victory.  For the Beacons Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) had another team leading performance as he finished with three goals and a team best four points.

The sophomore midfielder fired home all three of his scores in the final quarter as he tried to lead UMass to a late rally, which fell just short.  Of the five goals scored by the Cougars in the final quarter four came from a different player, with Keegan Callahan scoring the final two goals of the contest for the Cougars.

Also picking up a pair of goals in Friday's loss was Thomas Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) who finished with two scores.  Newcomer Pete McNichols (Norwalk, Conn.) tallied a pair of assists to go alone with one goal to finish with three points on the night.

Between the pipes Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) made 15 stops for UMB, while Clark's Kevin Ranta made 13 saves to earn the victory.

UMB led the night in man-up chances as they finished 2-for-5, while also earning the edge in clear attempts as they completed 17.  Clark finished 16-for-24 on clear attempts and were 1-for-9 on man-up chances.

On the ground four Beacons matched the team-best in groundballs with four, while Zach Duffy led the night with eight groundballs.

Clark would start off the night with a pair of goals in the first quarter, before adding three more in the second. UMass would fire home two goals of their own in the second quarter to go into the halftime break trailing by three (5-2).  After the break, thing really got interesting as Clark scored three tallies.  UMass finished with just one in the third which made it 8-3 going into the fourth.

In the final frame, UMass tried to battle back early scoring the first two goals of the quarter, both of which came from Delpha.  However a pair of goals from the Cougars attack kept them out in front on the scoreboard.  The Beacons would get a goal from McNichols and Delpha once again making it a close affair.  Unfortunately a three goal spurt by Clark sealed the win.

Lacrosse returns to action next Thursday when they take on Hood College at 4 p.m. in Maryland.