Lacrosse Dominates Johnson & Wales In 12-3 Season-Opening Win

Lacrosse Dominates Johnson & Wales In 12-3 Season-Opening Win

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Six different Beacons found the back of the net, led by four goals from sophomore Noah Ellis (Hingham, Mass.), to help UMass Boston earn a season-opening 12-3 victory over Johnson & Wales University (R.I.) Saturday afternoon at the Scott Miracle-Gro Athletic Complex.

The victory marked the Beacons' first season-opening win since 2007 and also spoiled the first varsity contest for the Wildcats men's lacrosse program.

Ellis, a first-year player for the Beacons, made a huge impact in his debut, with a team-high four goals and five total points. He scored a goal each in the second and third quarters, before adding a pair of tallies in the fourth quarter.

John Powers (Marshfield, Mass.), Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) and Tommy Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) each added two goals and at least one assist in the victory. Sophomore Nick Weiss (Westfield, Mass.) recorded a goal and an helper, while senior captain Dom Fichera (Scituate, Mass.) accounted for the final goal. 

Sophomore netminder Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.) earned his second collegiate victory in his second career start, with 13 saves on 16 shots in 48 minutes of action. Frehill held the Wildcats off the board for the opening 20 minutes, and did not allow goals in the first or third quarters. Freshman James Bischoff (East Lyme, Conn.) made his collegiate debut in the fourth quarter, as he stopped all four shots he faced in 11 minutes and 34 seconds of play.

Keegan Donaher, Tyler Thompson and TJ Consiglio each scored for the Wildcats in their program-debut. Goaltenders Jack Pettine and Mike Russo split time in the cage, with the duo combining for 13 saves on 25 shots.

After a slow start to the opening quarter, UMass Boston struck at the 10:37 mark, when Powers found the back of the cage off of a nice feed from Petitti. The Beacons added two more strikes before the end of the period, as Petitti and Delpha each scored to give UMass Boston a 3-0 lead after one.

Weiss scored the eventual game-winning goal at 12:11 of the second quarter, when he capitalized off a nice pass from Delpha. Johnson & Wales scored their first goal in program history at the 9:47 mark, when Donaher scored an unassist man-up tally. The Wildcats added a second goal to cut their deficit to 4-2, but Fichera and Ellis responded for the Beacons to make it 6-2 at halftime.

UMass Boston's defense proved to be too much for the Wildcats the rest of the way, as the Beacons held Johnson & Wales to just six second-half shots on goal and one goal.

The Beacons dominated the third quarter, recording seven of the nine shots on goal and scoring all three goals in the stanza. Ellis struck for his second goal of the game at 12:13 and Petitti and Delpha added markers later in the period to make it 9-2 after three quarters.

Consiglio briefly gave Johnson & Wales life with a goal early in the fourth, but Ellis found the back of the net twice more and Powers added a tally to contribute to the 12-3 final.

Despite the wide margin on the scoreboards, the Beacons only held a narrow 30-27 edge in shots and 20-19 margin in clears. Both teams finished 8-for-16 in the face-off dot and both sides struggled in man-up situations. UMass Boston finished the day 1-for-5, with Delpha accounting for the lone man-up goal, while the host Wildcats ended the day 1-for-8. 

The Beacons will look to move to 2-0 Wednesday when they travel to take on Gordon College at 4 p.m.