Eastern Connecticut Downs Men’s Lacrosse, 13-6

Eastern Connecticut Downs Men’s Lacrosse, 13-6

BOSTON, Mass. – Led by Tyler Fresen's five-point performance the Warriors of Eastern Connecticut State University defeated men's lacrosse by the final of 13-6 Saturday afternoon at Boston College High School in a Little East Conference match-up.

Fresen paced the Warriors attack with three goals, and had two assists, while Mike Devine finished second on the team with three goals and one assist.  Saturday's victory improved Eastern's overall record to 6-4 and 2-0 in the Little East Conference.  UMass Boston saw their three-game win streak come to an end on Saturday, with their record falling to 6-5, 1-1 in conference play.

The Warriors scored at-least two goals in every quarter to remain atop the conference standings.  The first quarter proved to be the deciding one for the Warriors as they jumped out to a 5-1 lead.  They would then tack on three more goals in the second and third quarters, before closing out the contest with a pair in the fourth.

For UMass Boston Nick Tangherlini (Cohasset, Mass.) had his best game to-date in a Beacons uniform scoring a pair of goals, to earn his first multi-goal game of his college career.  John Powers (Marshfield, Mass.) matched his teammate with two scores and also finished with one assist as well.

Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.) produced another career-best performance in goal for the Beacons stopping 15 shots for the second straight Saturday.  The sophomore also came-up with three groundballs as he fell to 6-5 on the year.

Eastern Connecticut got on the scoreboard early in the first quarter scoring a pair of markers in the first three minutes of play to take an early 2-0 lead.  The Beacons would then make it a one-goal game on Tangherlini's first career tally at 9:15.  Eastern would respond with four unanswered goals to make it 6-1, with two of the scores coming from Devine. 

Powers then made it a four-goal game at the 9:18 mark of the second quarter off of a great pass from Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.).  After five scoreless minutes, Fresen would score the final two goals of the half to push the Warriors lead back to six. 

After the break, the Beacons got on the board first with Michael Durocher (Marion, Mass.) tallying his first career goal six minutes into the third.  Unfortunately, the Warriors would once again respond with a run of their own scoring three straight, two from Nick Cariso to stay in total control of the contest.

In the fourth the Beacons would outscore the Warriors three goals to two, but their late push proved too little too late.  Tangherlini started off the final 15 minutes of play with his second career goal.  After an Eastern score, Powers and Nick Weiss (Westfield, Mass.) closed out the afternoon for the Beacons with their 25th and 10th goals respectively.  Mike Gillotti secured the victory in the closing minute of play on a man-up tally.

Blake Smaldone earned the win after totaling five saves in the first two quarters of play.  Eastern Connecticut held a 43-27 advantage in shots and a 35-27 advantage in groundballs.  They were also 13-for-22 on the face-off "X" with Phil Truong (Quincy, Mass.) earning the nine wins on the "X" for the Beacons. 

Lacrosse returns to action next Saturday when they host Western Connecticut State University at 1 p.m.  Eastern Connecticut will host Keene State College at 3 p.m. in Mansfield.