Second Half Surge Pushes Western Connecticut Past Lacrosse

Second Half Surge Pushes Western Connecticut Past Lacrosse

BOSTON, Mass – A five-goal third quarter was the deciding factor as Western Connecticut State University defeated men's lacrosse by the final of 11-7 Saturday afternoon at Clark Athletic Center Field in a Little East Conference match-up.

With the Beacons leading 4-3 after the first two quarters, the Colonials unloaded five straight goals in the third to take an 8-3 lead.  The Beacons would stop the bleeding with their lone goal of the quarter to make it 8-4, but with three more by WCSU in the fourth, the Colonials were able pull out the victory.

Saturday's win improved Western's record to 4-7, 1-1 in the conference, while the Beacons fell to 6-6, 1-1 in the Little East.

Nate Wilson and Ryan Foster fueled the Colonials second half run as the duo scored a combined five goals respectively.  In total Wilson finished with a game-high four goals in Saturday's contest. 

The Beacons tried to mount a late fourth quarter comeback with Dom Fichera (Scituate, Mass.) and Noah Ellis (Hingham, Mass.) cutting the Colonials lead to three (10-7) with 3:46 left in regulation.  Unfortunately a man-down goal by WCSU proved to be the final tally of the afternoon as Logan Yelle sealed the victory for his team. 

Fichera led the Beacons attack with three goals, while John Powers (Marshfield, Mass.) stepped-up as the team's top playmaker as the senior finished with three assist.  As a team the Beacons outshot the Colonials 37-28, but it was the strong play of Kevin Seery that kept the Western in the game.  The junior made a total of 15 saves, including seven in the fourth. 

For the Beacons Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.) registered seven saves, while his defense caused 12 WCSU turnovers.  Derek Froio (Cohasset, Mass.) and Andrew Guy (Northbridge, Mass.) each collected four groundballs, but it was the Colonials Zach Bartlett who led his defense with seven groundballs. 

On the "X" Froio finished 6-for-7, while Phil Truong (Quincy, Mass.) collected five wins on the opening draw as the Beacons went 11-for-22 on the afternoon.  Ryan Caldwell posted all 11 wins on the face-off dot for the Colonials and also had five ground balls.

Western Connecticut started off the contest with a pair of goals to take an early 2-0 lead, but with six seconds left in the opening frame, Fichera got his team on the board with his 13th tally of the year.  In the second WCSU struck first, but it was the Beacons who closed out the second with a flurry of goals scoring three straight.  Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) started the scoring spree with his 11th goal of the season at 10:09.  After that it was Nick Tangherlini (Cohasset, Mass.), followed by Fichera.

Lacrosse returns to action on Wednesday when they host Keene State College at 3:30 p.m.