Owls Fly Past Lacrosse In Conference Play

Owls Fly Past Lacrosse In Conference Play

BOSTON, Mass. – Led by Tyler McKelvie's and Tyler Reilly's game-high six points each the Owls of Keene State College remained undefeated in Little East Conference play as they defeated men's lacrosse by the final of 19-10 Thursday afternoon at Clark Athletic Center Field.

The duo each recorded three goals and three assists to lead the Owls to their fifth win of the year (5-6) and fourth straight conference victory (4-0).  The Beacons fell to 6-7, 1-3 in the Little East following Thursday's tough loss.

Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) had a strong day for the Beacons attack as the junior recorded four goals and one assist.  Tommy Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) finished second on the team with a pair of goals, while Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) and Noah Ellis (Hingham, Mass.) each notched one goal and one assist.

The Owls controlled most of Thursday's contest outscoring the Beacons 9-3 in the first 30 minutes of play.  After the halftime break, the Beacons combined for seven goals, while the Owls managed 10 more to earn the victory.  The two teams traded goals in the third, while in the fourth the Beacons recorded three of the final four goals, one of which was on a man-up opportunity.

Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.) played perhaps his best game of the 2014 season and of his college career as he made 16 of the team's 27 saves.  The sophomore registered 14 stops in the first two quarters, including nine in the second.  In the third he managed two more stops before AJ Collette (West Springfield, Mass.) stepped in with just over eight minutes left in quarter.  From there the freshman totaled two stops in the third and finished the fourth with six more saves. 

Joe Sialiano led the Owls attack with four goals in the victory and also had one assist for a five-point day.  Robert Hall and Ryan Hart each walked away with hat-tricks to anchor Keene State's conference leading attack.

Hart was also the team leader in groundballs with seven, followed by Mike Curley who had six.  James Dowd was the Owls go-to face-off man in the victory as he went 17-for-24 on the afternoon.  Dylan Florian picked-up the win between the pipes as he allowed seven goals, while making four saves to improve to 4-4 on the year.  Eric Palmer played the final 12 minutes of Thursday's contest and registered three saves, while also surrendering the final three Beacons goals.

Despite an early Keene State goal to start off Thursday's contest, the Beacons defense would hold them to that one tally until the 5:49 mark of the opening quarter.  During that time Ellis would score his 14th goal of the season to tie it at 1-1.  Delpha picked-up his 12th assist of the year on the play. 

Unfortunately the Beacons were unable to build off the then tying goal, as the Owls unloaded four straight goals to make it 5-1.  McGoff cut into Keene State's lead at the 13:30 mark of the second quarter on an unassisted goal.  From there Hart would score his first of the day, with Nick Tangherlini (Cohasset, Mass.) responding with a goal of his own to keep it at a three point contest.

However the Owls would own the scoreboard for the remainder of the second and most of the third as they scored seven unanswered goals to make it 13-3, before McGoff was able to stop the bleeding.  The junior recorded back-to-back goals, and was joined by Delpha and Petitti to cap off a four-goal run by the Beacons to close out the third.

In the fourth Keene State sealed the victory with five goal run to make it 18-7 with just over 10 minutes to play.  Petitti picked-up his second goal of the day off of an assist by McGoff to make it 18-8.  McGoff would then make it 18-9 on his final tally of the afternoon, but Hall would connect one last time to stop any chance of a Beacons rally.  John Powers (Marshfield, Mass.) netted the final goal of the day with 12 seconds left in the contest.

On the day the Owls held a 39-35 advantage in groundballs and led the contest in total shots 62-30.  They were also 3-for-5 on man-up opportunities, while the Beacons went 1-for-4. 

Lacrosse returns to action on Saturday when they host Plymouth State University at 1 p.m.