Lacrosse Downs Southern Maine in OT For Huge Conference Win

Lacrosse Downs Southern Maine in OT For Huge Conference Win

GORHAM, Maine- A John Powers' (Marshfield, Mass.) goal with one second left in the first overtime gave men's lacrosse a 12-11 Little East Conference victory Tuesday afternoon at Hannford Field.  With the victory the Beacons have all but secured a spot in this year's Little East Conference tournament, with only one regular season conference game left on the schedule.

Tuesday's victory also marked the seventh win for the Beacons, making it the most wins ever for head coach Tyler Low and the most victories since the 2007 season.  Beacons now stand at 7-8 on the year and 2-4 in the LEC.  The Huskies fell to 2-12 overall and 0-5 in the conference.

Powers game-clinching goal came just seconds after the Huskies turned the ball over on a clear attempt.  The junior attackman collected the loose ball and fired it home to help UMass cap off a huge comeback. 

Leading by one at the half, the Huskies added to their lead in the third quarter scoring five goals, while holding the Beacons to four to make it 9-7 with only one quarter remaining in the contest.  In the final frame the Beacons put-up four goals including the tying marker from Noah Ellis (Hingham, Mass.) with only 10 seconds left in regulation.

Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) sparked the fourth quarter comeback with his second goal of the afternoon.  After a man-up goal by the Huskies to keep their lead at two, the Beacons scored two straight to tie it at 10-10 with Derek Philips and Joe Miller (Hull, Mass.) each scoring unassisted goals.  The Beacons would then try to take the lead on a man-up possession, but it was the Huskies who found the back of the cage to make it 11-10 with 3:49 to play.

After going back-and-forth over the next minutes the Beacons would gain possession of the ball with less than a minute to play.  With less than 30 to play coach Low called a timeout to set up his offense for one last shot in hopes of forcing the overtime.

Tommy Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) would put the first Beacons shot on goal, which hit hard off of the post.  With the ball bouncing on the turf, Ellis would scoop-up the groundball and immediately fired off a shot that hit its mark perfectly.

In the overtime, the Beacons attack dominated from start to finish firing off the only four shots of the extra frame.  On the afternoon, UMass Boston outshot their conference rivals 45-33 and was 3-for-8 on man-up goals.

Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.) continued to anchor the Beacons backline with his 10 saves, while on the attack Powers led UMass with two goals and one assist.  Four other Beacons recorded two goals in the huge victory including Ellis.

For the Huskies Ryan Jurgelevich made a combined 15 saves in the loss, while Jeff Urmston scored a game-high three goals. 

Lacrosse returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Regis College for a 5 p.m. non-conference game. The Beacons will then host UMass Dartmouth on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the regular season finale at Clark Athletic Center Field.