Lacrosse Records 14-12 Win at Regis

Lacrosse Records 14-12 Win at Regis

WESTON, Mass. – In a game that featured six ties, men's lacrosse earned their second straight victory thanks in part to Noah Ellis (Hingham, Mass.) who scored two goals in the closing minutes to break a deadlock and come away with a 14-12 win against Regis College Thursday afternoon.

Not only did Ellis lift the Beacons to the non-conference victory, but they also saw junior John Powers (Marshfield, Mass.) unload a team-best six points (4g, 2a) to help even their record at 8-8.  Regis College fell to 9-6 despite a seven point (4g, 3a) showing from the Pride's Peter Leighton.

The Pride got things started early by scoring back-to-back goals to take a 2-0 advantage by the 9:13 mark of the first quarter. The Beacons responded by notching three goals in less than three minutes to jump ahead for a 3-2 lead. Dom Fichera (Scituate, Mass.) beat the Regis goalie with a low shot after receiving a quick pass on the goal line from Ellis following unassisted goals by Tommy Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) and Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.).

Regis would score the final two goals of the opening quarter to take a slim 4-3 lead.

The Pride would score the first goal and the last goal of the second quarter, but three Beacon goals were sandwiched in between. After the opening goal, Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) cut the deficit back to one on a pass from Delpha, and Powers scored two unanswered goals to reclaim the lead for Boston. Powers' tucked his second goal inside the post after receiving a pass in front from Nick Weiss (Westfield, Mass.).

Coming out of halftime, the Beacons made the most of their man-up opportunities and looked like they might run away with the game after Delpha, Powers, and Fichera each found the back of the net to push their lead to 9-6. The Pride answered back with a man-up goal of-their-own.

McGoff pushed the lead back to three by the 6:53 mark, but Regis scored three quick goals to close out the third quarter, including two in the last 30 seconds, to even the score at 10-10.

The back-and-forth action continued into the game's final stanza, as the Beacons opened up with two goals before the Pride came storming back with two of their own. Powers and Petitti capitalized for Boston before Regis answered back with a pair of goals.

With the game deadlocked at 12, Ellis provided the heroics for the Beacons by notching two goals with under four minutes to play to put the game away. The game-winner came with 3:40 to play when Ellis took a pass in front from Weiss and sent the ball top shelf. He added some insurance less than 60 seconds later when he shot the ball towards the opposite post after getting the ball from Powers.

Brendan Crane suffered the loss in goal despite a 16 save performance. A.J. Collette (W. Springfield, Mass.), Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.), and James Bischoff (East Lyme, Conn.) combined for 12 saves in the win for UMass Boston.

The Beacons wrap up their regular season schedule this Saturday with a 1 p.m. home game against UMass Dartmouth.

Information for this release provided by Regis College Sports Information Department