Corsairs Run Past Lacrosse On Senior Day

Corsairs Run Past Lacrosse On Senior Day

BOSTON, Mass. – Led by Bo Prozinski's six goals and a 9-0 run over a 30 minute span the visiting Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth defeated lacrosse by the final of 11-5 Saturday afternoon at Clark Athletic Center Field in the final regular season Little East Conference game for both teams.

With Saturday's loss the Beacons close out the 2014 regular season with an 8-9 record, 2-5 in the Little East.  The Corsairs, who will be the third-seed in the conference tournament, closed the year with a record of 12-4, 5-2 in the conference.

The Beacons, who are the sixth seed in this year's tournament, will travel to UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday for the first-round of the conference tournament.  A start time has yet to be determined.

Prozinski's day officially got started when he scored his first goal with 15 seconds left in the first quarter to make it 3-2 in favor of the Beacons.  He would then fire-off four goals, three of which came in succession, in the third to push the Corsairs lead to 10-3.  His final goal of the afternoon came in the fourth at the 3:39 mark to secure the victory for UMass Dartmouth.

Looking for their third straight win over the Corsairs, the Beacons were hoping to give their six senior members a game to remember as they were honored prior to the start of the contest.  This year's senior class consisted of Joe Miller (Hull, Mass.), Gary Ley (Tuckerton, N.J.), Brian Meehan (Marshfield, Mass.), Andrew Guy (Northbridge, Mass.), Ed McDonald (Waltham, Mass.), and Tommy Petitti (Quincy, Mass.).

Noah Ellis (Hingham, Mass.) struck first for UMass Boston on an unassisted goal at the 6:39 mark.  Jordan MacPherson tied it at 1-1 just a few seconds later on his first of three goals.  From there Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) and Ellis pushed the Beacons lead to two on their 23rd and 21st goals of the year respectively.  However Prozinski's goal with just seconds left in the first would spark the Corsairs attack.

MacPherson netted the lone goal in the second quarter as the two teams went into the halftime break tied at 3-3.

After the intermission, the Corsairs unloaded for seven goals in the third quarter with MacPherson, Riley Baxter, and Prozinski all finding the back of the cage.  Petitti ended the scoring drought for the Beacons at the 1:52 mark of the third on his 24th goal of the season to make 10-3 Corsairs.

In the fourth, Prozinski scored the only goal for UMD, while John Powers (Marshfield, Mass.) recorded the Beacons last goal of the 2014 regular season with less two minutes to play in the contest.

Between the pipes Nick Thayer earned his 12th win of the year after making just four saves in the contest.  Craig Frehill (Norwell, Mass.) had a very busy afternoon on the other side of the field as the Corsairs attacked peppered the sophomore all afternoon.  UMD outshot the Beacons 41-20, and forced Frehill to come-up 15 saves.  Saturday's game marked the fourth time this season that Frehill had to make 15 or more stops.

The Beacons return to action on Tuesday when they travel to UMass Dartmouth for the first round of the Little East Conference tournament.  Start time is to be determined.