Men's Soccer Drops Newbury in Non-Conference Play

Men's Soccer Drops Newbury in Non-Conference Play

BOSTON, Mass. – With goals from Reyn Johnson (Mangilao, Guam) and Dylan Voss (East Bridgewater, Mass.) and a strong defensive showing men's soccer got back on the winning track as they defeated Newbury College by the final of 2-1 Monday afternoon at Clark Athletic Field.

Monday's victory ended the Beacons four-game winless streak and also ended their scoreless streak which was stood at 340:32 minutes going into the contest.  The win improved the Beacons season mark to 3-5-2, while the Nighthawks fell to 4-5-1 on the season. 

Johnson wasted little time ending the Beacons long scoreless drought as he headed home a Douglas Silviera (Revere, Mass.) corner kick just three minutes into the contest.  The goal marked the second of the season for the senior defender and put the Beacons on the right track.

Throughout the first 45 minutes of play the Beacons controlled most of the pace and limited the Nighthawks offense to just two shots.  The midfield was especially strong, with Silviera leading the charge.  UMass combined for 12 shots in the contest and tested Newbury goalkeeper Antonios Tran on numerous occasions.  The freshman from Chelsea played exceptional and kept his team in the game.

After the halftime break and still trailing by one, the Nighthawks began to throw their weight around.  Their aggressive play began to shift the momentum in favor of the visitors.  However the Beacons defense remained strong, throughout the early test by Newbury.

It was not until the midway point of the half that UMass was able to gain some breathing room, as Voss drove home his first collegiate score on a one-timer to the far post.  Voss would take advantage of a missed clear and drive home the unassisted score.  Also putting a couple of chances on goal throughout the match was goalkeeper turned forward Brycen Dowd (Mansfield, Mass.).

Now trailing by two, the Nighthawks caught a break and closed the gap between them and the Beacons when Shaundize Moosavizad hit a laser of a shot to the far post to make it 2-1.  Picking-up the assist was Marco Carvajal at the 85:53 mark.

Despite the huge shift in momentum, the Beacons defense managed to hold off Newbury's late push to secure the victory.

The second half saw UMB tally 11 shots to finish the day with 23 chances, 11 of which were on goal.  Newbury recorded four shots in the second half to end the day with six (3 sog).  The Beacons also held a 10-2 advantage in corner kicks.

In goal, Tran tallied eight saves, while UMass Boston's Bryce Menard (Randolph, Mass.) and Hamza Abdul (Chelsea, Mass.) combined for two saves respectively.  Abdul, who made his first collegiate appearance in goal for the Beacons came-up with a huge stop in the final minute of play to keep his team in the lead. 

Men's Soccer returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Bridgewater State University for a 7 p.m. non-conference game.