Men's Soccer Season Comes To A Close In Sweet 16

Men's Soccer Season Comes To A Close In Sweet 16

MEDFORD, Mass. – Tufts junior Dexter Eichhorst scored in the 68th minute to lead the host Jumbos past #10/15 UMass Boston men's third round of the NCAA Division III Tournament on Saturday at Bello Field in Medford, Massachusetts.


Tufts University 1, #10/15 UMass Boston 0

(UMass Boston 18-2-3)

(Tufts University 12-5-2)


Eichhorst's goal, which came from just inside the 18-yard box, was his second of the season and the fifth of his career. With the Beacons defense showing a bit of indecision, Eichhorst collected the ball and fired it across the goal mouth just over a diving Omar Castro-Dreher (Woonsocket, R.I.)

The Jumbos will play number five Kenyon College in quarterfinal-round action of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday (1 p.m.) at Bello Field.

The Beacons, who have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in three consecutive seasons, see their season come to an end. Saturday's contest ends the careers of the most-successful class in program history. The Beacons eight seniors finish their career 59-20-11, with two Little East Conference Regular Season Titles and three LEC Tournament Titles. 

Castro-Dreher put together a third-consecutive strong NCAA Tournament performance. The freshman goalie stopped six shots and got his finger-tips on Eichhorst's blast from outside the box.

Jumbos senior goalkeeper Scott Greenwood made two saves, as he posted his 10th shutout of the season and his third consecutive in the NCAA Tournament. The Weymouth, Massachusetts, native has a program-leading 37 career shutouts.

The Jumbos held a 21-16 advantage in shots, including holding a 14-7 lead in the category during the second half. The Jumbos were whistled for 15 fouls, while the Beacons were guilty of nine infractions. The Jumbos attempted six corner kicks, while the Beacons were awarded a pair. 

The Beacons applied a great deal of pressure during the 13th and 14th minutes off their first corner of the game. Freshman back Destin Pierrot (Port-Au-Prince, Haiti) forced a diving save by Greenwood, which was quickly followed by looks from Marcelo Cunha (Goiania, Brazil) and Giovanni Lima (Sao Paulo, Brazil), who each had their shots blocked. 

The Beacons nearly found their way onto the scoreboard in the 29th minute, as a free kick by Cunha dove at the last possible second and connected with the crossbar. Zach Lane recorded a header shot in the 33rd minute, but it was turned aside by Castro-Dreher. 

Castro-Dreher tallied saves for the Beacons in the 41st minute on a header by Majumder and in the 44th minute he tipped a hard shot over the net from Halliday, as the game remained scoreless heading into halftime. The Beacons held a 9-7 advantage in shots during the first half, while each squad was guilty of five fouls in the opening half.

The Jumbos attempted to take a 1-0 lead in the 49th minute, but senior midfielder Kevin Lawson's shot was saved by Castro-Dreher. Nathan Majumder had a strong chance in the 64th minute, but Castro-Dreher saved the attempt from point-blank range.

The Beacons attempted to even the score in the 69th minute, but Mohamed Kenawy's (Revere, Mass.) half-volley went just wide left.

UMass Boston created their best two looks of the second half late. Edmilson Barros (Praia, Cape Verde) unleashed Jake Davenport (Weymouth, Mass.) on a give-and-go, but Davenport slide a shot just wide of the far post, after racing past the Tufts back line.

Later on, Kenawy sent a pass towards the back post that Greenwood got to just before Barros could head the ball home. 

Greenwood made his final save of the game in 87th minute, as he turned aside a shot by senior back Pedro De Carvalho (Praia, Cape Verde). 


  • Tufts improved to 3-0-0 against the Beacons, with wins in 1999 and 2014.
  • Saturday's contest marked the final game of the Beacons eight seniors: Miguel Alcantar (Tijuana, Mexico), Ricky Bonilla (Framingham, Mass.), Matt Coakley (Medway, Mass.) Arlindo Goncalves (Brockton, Mass.), Klismam Mendes (Fogo, Cape Verde), Matheus Reis (Espirito Santo, Brazil), Barros and De Carvalho.
  • Kenawy led the Beacons in shot with four on the afternoon.