Eastern Connecticut State Downs Men's Soccer 3-2 In Thrilling Finish

Eastern Connecticut State Downs Men's Soccer 3-2 In Thrilling Finish

BOSTON, Mass.—Eastern Connecticut State scored the final two goals in a wild final 11 minutes of regulation, to earn a 3-2 win over host UMass Boston men's soccer Saturday afternoon at James Cotter Field. 


Eastern Connecticut State University 3, UMass Boston 2

(UMass Boston 6-2-1, Little East Conference 1-1) 
(Eastern Connecticut State 9-0-0, Little East Conference 2-0) 


After playing down a man for almost 70 minutes, UMass Boston scored two goals in a 4:05 span to take a 2-1 lead with less than seven minutes remaining. The visitors tied the game less than 90-seconds later and took the lead for good with 2:33 to play. 

Nilton de Andrade (Fogo, Cape Verde) paced the Beacons offensively with a goal and an assist in the contest. Nick Fontana (Marshfield, Mass.) scored the equalizer for the Beacons, who became the first team to score multiple goals this season against the regionally-ranked Warriors. 

Patrick Agyemang, the league's leader in goals and points, added an assist on the tying goal and scored the game-winning goal for the visitors. Emmanuel Agyemang and Jared Caroline also scored for Eastern Connecticut State.

Omar Castro-Dreher (Woonsocket, R.I.) took the loss, after allowing three goals on five shots. 

Eastern junior goalie Kyle Boutot made eight six saves on eight shots, to move to 9-0-0 on the season. 

UMass Boston suffered through a disastrous opening 15 minutes. Just over five minutes into the game, Patrick Agyemang was pulled down in the box for a penalty kick. His brother Emmanuel Agyemang stepped to the spot and rifled a shot past Castro-Dreher's outstretched hand for a 1-0 lead. 

Things got worse for the Beacons six minutes later, when UMass Boston lost a player to a red card at 11:32. From there, UMass Boston began to settle in and limit the Warriors chances. 

After getting through the final 30 minutes of the half down 1-0, UMass Boston turned the tide in the second half. 

The Beacons outshot the Warriors 8-6 in the second half and began creating more and more chances as the half went along. 

UMass Boston nearly tied the game in the 78th minute, when Estevao Gomes (Fogo, Cape Verde) sprayed a shot from outside the box that forced a diving save from Boutot. 

The Beacons tied the game less than 90 seconds later. De Andrade drove towards the top of the 18 and threaded a pass for Gerardo Castaneda (Providence, R.I.) who was making a diagonal run behind the defense. Castaneda dribbled past the keeper and then calmly crossed the ball for an emphatic finish from Fontana. 

UMass Boston took the lead at 83:20. With a little bit of space just outside the box, de Andrade whipped a perfectly-placed shot just inside the near post for a 2-1 edge. 

The Warriors evened the score 1:14 later. Castro-Dreher made a terrific diving save to paw away P. Agyemang's initial shot, but Caroline rushed forward from the far side and booted it into a wide-open net for a 2-2 tie at 84:34. 

Eastern took the lead for good at 87:27. Nick Starkowski, who was making his senior-season debut, threw a line-drive, throw-in into the box and P. Agyemang headed it inside the near post for a 3-2 lead. 


  • UMass Boston and Eastern Connecticut State finished tied 12-12 in shots. The Warriors held an 8-5 edge in shots on goal and 5-3 lead in corner kicks. 
  • De Andrade has now scored in three-straight games. In four home games this season, de Andrade has posted five goals and five assists. 
  • With the loss, UMass Boston falls to 7-25-2 against the Warriors. Six of the last eight matchups between the two programs have been decided by one goal or fewer (2-4-2). 
  • Saturday's loss snapped the Beacons' seven-game home unbeaten streak (6-0-1) and eight-game home conference unbeaten streak (6-0-2).
  • UMass Boston played down a man for 78:28 in the contest. 


UMass Boston will look to get back into the win column on Tuesday night, when they host rival UMass Dartmouth at 7:30 p.m.