ASTON, Pa. – With a pair of goals coming in the three minutes of the opening period, women's ice hockey had no trouble earning their first win of the 2015-16 season as they cruised past Stevenson University with a 3-1 win Friday evening at the Neumann University Invitational.
UMass Boston 3, Stevenson University 1
UMass Boston (1-0-0)
Stevenson University (0-1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Beacons wasted little time scoring their first goal of the new year, as they registered their first marker of the contest just 11 seconds in. Freshman Rachel Peacock found the back of the net to earn her first collegiate goal. Just over three minutes later it was senior Lizzie Aveson (West Covina, Calif.) who made it a two-goal affair, with Erica Lunn (Kingston, Mass.) and Katie Jeter (Winthrop, Mass.) each earning an assist on the play.
After the break, it was Maren Brown (Brainerd, Minn.) who sealed the win for the Beacons on an unassisted power-play goal at the 11:47 mark in the second. The Beacons would continue to pound the puck throughout the final nine minutes of the second frame, but were held to just the lone score.
In the third, the Beacons continued the pressure, but the lone goal of the final period would go to Stevenson University. Jordan Pirrello ended the Beacons shutout bid, with just over a minute to play in regulation. Despite the late tally, the Beacons never really worried about losing the season opener as they killed off the final seconds.
Between the pipes Rachel Myette (Duxbury, Mass.) made 22 saves to earn her first win of the year and the 14th of her career as a Beacon. Caitie Darosa made 28 stops in the season-opener for the Mustangs.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Beacons goal to start the game marked the fastest goal ever scored to open a season, and the second fastest goal ever recorded to start a game. The record still stands at 10 seconds in the 2008 season.
- In total there was 52 minutes of penalties assessed
- The Beacons finished 1-for-13 on the PP, while Stevenson went 0-for-11
- UMass led the contest 31-23 in total shots
- UMass Boston was 43-78 in face-offs, while Stevenson finished 34-78
The Beacons will face first-time program Lebanon Valley College tomorrow at 2 p.m.