Women's Soccer Downs Colby-Sawyer 2-1

Women's Soccer Downs Colby-Sawyer 2-1

NEW LONDON, N.H.—Tayla Andrews (Plymouth, Mass.) scored twice and UMass Boston held off a late charge from Colby-Sawyer (7-2-2) for a 2-1 victory at Kelsey Field Wednesday afternoon despite a mixture of heavy fog and rain.

With the win, UMass Boston (10-1) reached the 10-win mark for the fourth straight season and fourth time in eight years under head coach Amy Zombeck. The women's soccer program had failed to win more than six games in any of the 10 years prior to Zombeck taking over. 

Andrews scored her 11th goal just before halftime and added another tally late in the second half to put UMass Boston up 2-0. With the two goals, Andrews moved into second place in the Little East Conference with 12 goals on the year and increased her season point total to 29.

Kristen Spain (Quincy, Mass.) had a relatively quiet afternoon, making one stop on two shots on goal for the Beacons. The sophomore goalie moved to 9-1 on the season and finished nine minutes away from a shutout.

Colby-Sawyer's leading scorer Adrienne Bender prevented the shutout, by scoring her seventh goal of the season in the 81st minute. Bender's shot was one of just four on the day for Colby-Sawyer, who recorded their first shot at the 64:36 mark. 

UMass Boston outshot the Chargers 14-4 and recorded the first 13 shots of the game. The Beacons also held a 9-2 advantage on shots on goal and 9-4 edge on corner kicks. 

The first half was dominated by the Beacons, who were credited with all 11 shots in the frame. Andrews finally broke the scoreless tie at the 34:21 mark, when she picked up the ball in traffic and blasted it by senior keeper Shay Spencer from six yards out.

Spencer had a strong game in net for the Chargers, making six stops on eight shots. The Beacons were the first team all season-long to score more than one goal against Colby-Sawyer. Coming into the game, the Chargers had allowed just four goals in 10 games. 

Colby-Sawyer came out much stronger in the second half and both teams struggled to come up with chances. UMass Boston got back on the board in the 77th minute, when Andrews hit a bending-ball past Spencer from 25 yards out. 

The 2-0 lead would be short lived, as Bender would make it 2-1 with a goal at 81:27. Despite several rushes from the Chargers, Colby-Sawyer failed to attempt another shot in the contest, as UMass Boston improved to 4-1 on the road. 

UMass Boston will continue their two-game road trip Saturday when they take on regionally-ranked UMass Dartmouth at 1 p.m. The Beacons and Corsairs are tied with Eastern Connecticut State University at 3-0 in the Little East Conference and it will be a rematch of last year's LEC Quarterfinals, which the Beacons won by a 2-0 score.