Huge Second Half Lifts Women's Soccer Over UMass Dartmouth 4-0

Huge Second Half Lifts Women's Soccer Over UMass Dartmouth 4-0

BOSTON, Mass.—After a quiet first half, UMass Boston women's soccer erupted for four second-half goals to blow by UMass Dartmouth 4-0 Saturday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Field. 

The win pushed the Beacons to 5-3 on the year and 2-0 in Little East play, with both wins resulting in shutouts. UMass Dartmouth falls to 5-4-1 on the year and 1-1 in conference action.

Saturday's win also marked the Beacons eighth straight win in their series and extended their unbeaten streak to 10 in a row (8-0-2) against UMass Dartmouth.

Junior Ericka Garufi (Milton, Mass.) put together a breakout performance for the Beacons, recording a goal and two assists, for her first points in a Beacons uniform. The transfer from Stony Brook University scored UMass Boston's first goal, before tallying assists on the next two markers, for a four-point day.

Krista Ledin (Bridgewater, Mass.) added a goal and an assist, while Tayla Andrews (Plymouth, Mass.) and Kara Peters (Feeding Hills, Mass.) each tallied a goal. For Peters, it was her first career goal in a Beacons uniform, after spending her freshman season at Holyoke Community College.

Goaltender Kristen Spain (Quincy, Mass.) picked up her second consecutive conference shutout to set the UMass Boston program record with her 11th career clean sheet. The redshirt sophomore posted three saves in the win to move to 5-3 on the year.

Senior Michelle Miller made four stops on eight shots for the Corsairs in the loss, to fall to 2-1 on the year.

First half play ebbed back-and-forth with both teams unable to create solid chances. The two teams combined for just six total shots, with zero on goal.

Andrews had the best chance of the half for either side, as the Beacons senior captain received a through pass at the top of the box with the goalie charging, but her attempted chip shot was sent well wide.

UMass Boston responded in a big way coming out of the break to help extend their eight-game home winning streak against conference foes.

Garufi put the Beacons on the board in the 56th minute, off a tremendous setup from Ledin. Ledin dribbled into the box and ripped a shot into Miller's body, only to have Garufi run onto the ball and tap it in for a 1-0 lead.

The Beacons added to their lead at the 67:28 mark, when Garufi sent a pass to Ledin, who drew Miller out and dribbled by her, before finishing with the left foot. 

UMass Boston pushed the lead to 3-0 when Garufi and Peters hooked up on a terrific play. Garufi threaded a pass between two defenders into the box to a charging Peters, who calmly sent the ball into the near side of the net for her first goal in Beacons Blue. 

Andrews capped off the scoring at the 86:47 mark, when she crossed over her defender and lifted a left-footed shot just over Miller's hand and into the top netting for her seventh goal of the year.

UMass Dartmouth managed three shots in the second half, resulting in one good chance. Talia D'Ambruoso picked up her own rebound five feet away from the net and sent a rocket shot towards the near post, only to have Spain knock over the end line for a corner. 

The Corsairs outshot the Beacons 14-12 for the game, but managed only three shots on goal, compared to eight for UMB. UMass Boston managed a slim 4-3 edge in corner kicks.

UMass Dartmouth will return home Tuesday night to take on Bridgewater State University at 7 p.m. The Beacons will return to action Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. when they cap off their season-long three-game homestand with a matchup against Colby-Saywer College.