Oct. 7, 2010
SHREWSBURY, MA --- Sophomore Anitra Kloczewiak (Newton, MA) and freshman Destanee Ringler (Scituate, MA) combined for three wins to help UMass Boston earn the 7-2 victory over Worcester State in Little East women's tennis action this afternoon.
The Beacons (6-5, 1-4 LEC) swept all three doubles matches as Kloczewiak and Ringler paired for an 8-4 triumph at first doubles while first-year MaKenna Hughes (Yarmouthport, MA) and sophomore Hieu Nguyen (Dorchester, MA) teamed for a close 8-6 win as the second seed. Senior Brittany Engel (Freehold, NJ) and sophomore Wendy Steinman (Dudley, MA) also added the 8-4 victory as the third seed.
In solo play, Klowzewiak notched a 6-1 and 6-1 triumph at first singles as Ringler defeated her opponent in second singles, 6-0 and 6-0. Hughes dispatched her opponent 6-2 and 6-2 in the fifth flight while Steinman earned the win at sixth singles by scores of 6-4 and 6-1.
Senior Courteney Blais (Paxton, MA) paced the Lancers (4-5, 1-5 LEC) with a 6-1 and 6-3 win at third singles while sophomore Erin Desmarais (Gardner, MA) won the fifth singles point, 7-6 (7-5) and 6-4.
Ringler is now 8-3 at second singles this season while Blais improves to 5-2 at third singles.
Worcester State will play tomorrow at Anna Maria in a 3:00 p.m. matchup while the Beacons head up to Salem State on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. LEC contest.
1. Anitra Kloczewiak/Destanee Ringler (UMB) def. Courtenay Blais/Ashley Perkins (WSC), 8-4
2. MaKenna Hughes/Hieu Nguyen (UMB) def. Marissa Boss/Mariah Tangnay (WSC), 8-6
3. Brittany Engel/Wendy Steinman (UMB) def. Erin Desmarais/Amy Mach (WSC), 8-4
1. Kloczewiak (UMB) def. Perkins (WSC), 6-1,6-1
2. Ringler (UMB) def. Boss (WSC), 6-0,6-0
3. Blais (WSC) def. Engel (UMB), 6-1,6-3
4. Hughes (UMB) def. Tangnay (WSC), 6-2,6-2
5. Desmarais (WSC) def. Samantha Counts (UMB), 7-6(7-4),6-4
6. Steinman (UMB) def. Mach (WSC), 6-4,6-1
*Release content provided by Worcester State Sports Information Dept.