CLAREMONT, California – Trailing 13-11 in the final set, volleyball rallied to score four straight points to earn win the set and the match as UMB defeated Pomona-Pitzer College Friday evening.
UMass Boston 3, Pomona-Pitzer 2
UMass Boston (11-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After rallying to win the second and third frames, the Beacons saw the fourth set slip through their fingers to force the fifth and final deciding set. Pomona-Pitzer held a slim lead throughout the fifth set, and sat just two points away from clinching the hard fought victory.
However, the Beacons refused to go down quietly. Eileen Shi (San Francisco, Calif.) started the rally with a kill to make it 13-12. A huge block by Ariana Casingal and Emilia Czapiewska (Saint Paul, Minn.) tied the match at 13-13. Czapiewska then put down a crucial kill to give UMB the lead, which forced Pomona to call a timeout. Shi would then clinch the victory with a solo block as the senior hitter completed the comeback for the Beacons.
Shi's solo block capped-off a huge night for the California native as she matched career-high with 27 kills. She also had 16 digs as continues her climb to her 1,000th career dig.
Fellow senior Macayla Chianco (Clearwater, Fla.) finally crossed the 1,000th dig mark as she recorded an impressive 28 put-ups to lead the Beacons defensive effort. Rachel Maslach finished with an impressive 27 assists. Czapiewska notched 12 kills, while freshman Marcelle Tiscareno (El Paso, Texas) led the Beacons with a .417 hitting percentage behind an 11 kill performance.
BY THE NUMBERS
- With her 1,000th dig, Chianco became just the fifth player in program history to achieve the career milestone
- As a team the Beacons recorded a .181 hitting percentage and totaled a season-high 77 digs
- Shi's 27 kills matched her performance from the Beacons 3-1 win over Denison College in the first weekend of the 2018 season
- Friday's win marked the first win for the Beacons over Pomona-Pitzer
- The two teams have only faced each other one other time, which occurred in 2009 when Pomona earned a 3-2 win over the Beacons
The Beacons will close out their trip to California with a pair of matches. They will face Whittier College at 1 p.m. (EST) and the University of La Verne at 3:30 p.m. (EST). Both matches will be played at the University of La Verne.